Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Monday

Easter is so strange here--just like everything else. I guess I am slowly getting used to it. But Easter in the fall just seems wrong and typical to all things Kiwi the holiday passes with no particular pomp or awe in the worship. Yesterday's service was basically a baptism service with a very short message. That's it. One service. No sunrise service, no Easter egg hunt, not even a pot luck supper. It's weird. I was raised Methodist and I miss the liturgy of worship. I miss Ash Wednesday service and 40 days of Lent. I miss having an Easter production or at least a big choir anthem. I miss Maunday Thursday services and Good Friday services. No new outfits and pretty hats for Easter. I miss it all. Sad. :-(

It's funny because we live in what is basically a non-Christian country (so they think now, never mind their history), but every single store still closes on Good Friday and Easter. Do you know why? So that no one who might want the day off for religious purposes would be forced to work. Not even the grocery stores are open. That is kind of nice. But Easter Saturday and Monday--forget about it. They are packed! Easter weekend starts the Fall break at school so it is a big vacation and travel weekend, also a good excuse to drink for many people. The road deaths are already at 9 or 10. 

So, aside from church yesterday (my first in weeks) my Easter celebration includes cooking Texas BBQ for some of DH's friends. It's nice to cook the old things and have them still turn out well. Never mind, I am still not feeling quite right. My shingles are healing up, but now my tummy is sick today. Oh well. Soldiering on.

This week has been hard and frustrating, but I try not to complain. Every time I think of complaining about being homesick, or tired of one of us constantly being physically sick, or about gaining weight (I have not re-gained 30 lbs of the 60 lbs I lost), or not having friends here...I think of a sweet friend of mine and every thing she goes through and I feel like I have no right to complain. When I think of  her life and I do--I pray for her constantly--I think I should wake-up everyday celebrating and worshipping God. Aside from diaper rash, chicken pox, or even the febrile convulsions my children are healthy. I may not have friends here or a lot of help, but I can handle my life pretty well--aside from the usual tiredness of being a mother to two small children. It's a good thing to remember. Whenever we think we have hit the wall or that we can't handle any more--there is almost always someone out there (usually someone close to us) that is handling way more.  Just a reminder to be grateful for what we have, to pray for those we love, and to be kind to others that we know need our help. [I'm talking to myself. It is way too easy for me to be isolated and selfish.]

So, Easter is different here in the land of the long white cloud, but it is still Easter. I am still celebrating the death and resurrection of my Saviour! The weather is cooling and prime for walking. My Mom arrives two weeks from today (haven't seen her in over a year). And it looks like we will be making a trip home to visit in January. I have a lot to celebrate today and this week I am choosing to be grateful instead of lazy and selfish.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm.... I scrolled back to try to find the name of your friend who lost her child in an accident last year. I wondered how she was doing... how things were going.

    You're right; we should always be worshipful and celebrate what He has done for us. He brings the rain with the sun, but He does bring the sun.

    So do they do the chocolate and basket thing there AT ALL? I'm a total pagan and buy my kids bunnies every year. I even call it *Easter* instead of "Resurrection Sunday." BUT I won't do Halloween. BUT I will name my days of the week Thursday, Friday, Saturday, etc. and violate the Scripture by letting the names of the false gods be upon my lips. I find if I don't, no one knows which day I'm talking about.

    Ok. Rambling. God bless ya for putting up with it!

    PS You sure you want to visit the US in JANUARY and not JUNE of next year? When you do, even if you can't make it out to Kansas City, we will have to call each other "long distance" while we're in the same country and say HI to each other, ok??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Bonnie: some serious international dialogue here.☺ See, all that stuff you're missing is just...well, weird. Over the top. Another example of Americans being waaay too over the top. Unrestrained. Lacking a sense of decorum.

    If you got that far I congratulate you because I'm seriously not meaning to be offensive. That's the other side of your coin. I have lots & lots of American blog buddies & when I read what they do for Easter or Christmas I button my lip & shut up. Different strokes for differnt folks ~ but what if you're poor & can't afford all the extravaganza & hoolpla? The commercialism eats at me as it is. Any more & I'd be a raving nut case up on my soap box in the mall ranting at the passerby's. So enlighten me. Why do Americans go so over the top? Serious question from the Quaker lady who cringes at raised hands during worship. I know, I know. None of my business but I'm really, really reserved. Egg hunts are for home & family, not church. I don't get all this social activity at church ~ but that's because I'm an Aussie & was raised in very sedate type churches ~ stiff upper lip sorts; don't dare laugh during the service.

    Homesick I understand. I'm sorry you're feeling so alienated. Probably not a lot will help with that. What's with not making friends? Are you sort of isolated where you are. Must read your back blog!

    Please, explain in depth for me ~ waffle as much as you like. I'd really like to understand where you're coming from. This could be interesting...

    ReplyDelete