Friday, February 12, 2010

Bad Attitude Day

The started off fairly normal. The kids were happy when the woke-up and ate breakfast. We got ready to head out the door to run some errands and all Hell broke loose. They got into the pantry and under the sink. They wouldn't quit throwing cushions off the sofas and jumping off. When we finally got in the car Bubba starting throwing a HUGE fit. We hadn't even gotten around the corner. I made DH pull over and I gave him his bottle.

We made it through the post office fine. DH went in and I stayed in the car with the kids. Next on the list the baby store. We were looking for an organizer for their toys, as I am doing a big clean out. Of course we had to ask for the one we wanted. The saleslady was lovely, but wanted to stand and chat with the kiddies. Cupcake had thrown a fit about being in the buggy so she got to walk. Bubba then through a fit, because he was in the buggy. DH let Cupcake loose in the store (BAD IDEA) and she was everywhere. I finally took Bubba out of the buggy hoping he'd be happy with me holding him. Not. Then DH gets a phone call and stands about 30 feet away from us, because we were making too much noise, for 10 minutes while he talks on the phone.  I am trying to coral Bubba when Cupcake manages to take a 6 ft florescent light bulb out of a display. Seriously!

I put them both in the buggy and marched outside to the car while they both screamed and everyone stared at me. The rule is when they act that way, we go out to the car. Well, I didn't have the keys. I had left DH in the store paying for the organizer. So, we're standing in the heat, in the sun waiting to get into the car while the kids continued their screaming. I am trying to ignore them.

I finally took Bubba out of the buggy again hoping that a little holding and rocking would help. He proceeded to throw a  full on temper tantrum while I am holding him, including kicking and head butting. He hit me in the face with his head--hard. So, I pinched him. I couldn't spank him public (against the law here). But I figured if I pinched him he would stop kicking and head butting. He would still be crying, but now focused on the pinch.

It worked, but boy was he mad when I finally got him into the car. He screamed the whole way home. When DH came out and started putting her in the car he is saying, "Come on, good girl." This being the same girl who just had a tantrum in the store after I told her off for taking the light bulb out of the display. I said, "she is not being a good girl, she has been very naughty." And went into the whole Super Nanny speech about that kind of behavior being unacceptable. So she cried all the way home too.

What do I do about teaching these children to behave? I know they are still very small, but we should be able to go into a store to make a purchase. It wasn't nap time. They were fed and had drinks. This tantrum business is really getting out of control. What makes it worse is how bad I feel when Cupcake looks at me like she is wounded because I am upset with her. I think she knows that I can't stand that and uses it to her advantage.

Maybe I can spend the rest of my time, until they are older, never going anywhere. That's what it makes me feel like doing. All I can say now is thank God for nap time!

1 comment:

  1. I find some stores bring it out more than others. Other times there is no good reason for why things are tough! You are one brave mom!

    ReplyDelete