Thursday, February 11, 2010

Reading a new book...believing the best and other updates

So I am reading a new book (see picture). I found it at the Christian book store and immediately loved it, because it seems to be a continuation for me on this path of amazing healing and miracles I have been studying. Last year I read some of Heidi Baker's books on the amazing miracles that take place in Mozambique through their ministry. A few weeks ago we watched "Faith Like Potatoes" and learned about Angus Buchan and his amazing ministry in South Africa.

I am constantly being challenged on the topic of faith and miracles. Why? I didn't seek out any of these things. Someone gave me the Heidi Baker book to read. I bought the "Faith Like Potatoes" DVD and documentary because they were on sale, and because we have so many South African immigrants in our church. I had no idea what it was about. Yet, here I am.

Having always been an extremely practical person I have struggled with the concept of miracles in the face of suffering. Yet, I know from my own seminary training and Biblical study (in the original Greek) it is often one's faith that heals or the faith of the person doing the healing. I guess I didn't want to think about my faith not being strong enough. And sometimes it is just easier not to expect anything than to be disappointed.

But this book is really challenging. It talks about all of the times we are promised in Scripture the blessing of children. It talks about claiming that blessing and rebuking the illness or obstacles in our bodies. The woman who wrote it experienced healing from infertility. Her husband had been diagnosed as clinically sterile. But they refused to accept that diagnosis. The prayed and claimed healing for his sterility and they ended up with 4 children in 4.5 years. Now that is my kind of miracle.

I know there is a risk of being disappointed any time we step out in faith. But I feel as if maybe God has been calling me to believe that greater things than I can explain or understand are possible. So, following the book's advice I am starting small. I am praying for a normal menstral cycle and believing that it will happen. It may be a moment by moment thing, to believe this, but I am giving it over to God. Learning how to do that couldn't hurt me one bit.

Just for fun, here are some miracles I have already experienced in my life:

  • A biopsy showed serious cancer in my thyroid. The radiologist sat, in my presence, counting cancer areas on the slide. I was devastated, but many people prayed for me--two friends fasted and prayed for the two days between my biopsy and the surgery. When the surgery was done there was no cancer. I never required further treatment, other than the full removal of my thyroid, and no cancer has returned. That was 11 years ago.
  • In 2003, after 6 years of prayer and suffering, I was delivered from an abusive marriage. I had no hope of ever finding my "soul mate." I was lonely and desperate. On September 10 I found DH through eHarmony.com. He was in NZ and I was in Texas. He came to Texas on September 30. We were married on November 4. We've been married for over 6 years. I am woman who grew up being abused by her father and who married an abusive man, but now I have a godly husband. I know trust. I know love and my children have an amazing father. 
  • With no money for adoption fees, we raised the money and we're approved to adopt. After one failed adoption we were given Cupcake. I even got to be in the room when she was born. I was the first to hold her. Six months later we were in line to adopt again and when she was just 11 mos old, after two more failed adoptions, when all hope was lost, we were given Bubba. In November 2006 I had no children and no hope of children. By July 20, 2008--I had two babies.
There are so many more: finding this job, getting moved to NZ, DH's immigration in America, my immigration here, healing from RA and insulin resistance, money just when we need it, the list goes on and on. So, why should it be so hard for me to believe in miracles? I have already experienced some amazing ones.

I want the faith that heals. I want BIG Faith.

I want a normal menstrual cycle, working ovaries, conception, healthy pregnancy, and a healthy child (or 12). Time to start expecting a miracle.

PS--I have my team meeting tonight for ladies camp. Say a prayer for me. I think I have good, but small team together. We'll see how it goes.

I did manage to get some Valentine's Day cookies baked today. And DH bought me a GORGEOUS bouquet of pink Gerber daisies. My favorites. We have date night tomorrow. Woo-hoo!

1 comment:

  1. I have only one ovary and have managed seven children (one miscarriage). Praying for your miracleS to happen soon!!

    ReplyDelete