Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Happy Birthday Bubba!

Today is Bubba's 2nd birthday. I can't believe it. Where does the time go? This picture is from right around the day we first brought him home on his 6 weeks birthday. He was so precious and still is!

We always wished that we had known him since birth, like we have Cupcake. But he had such excellent foster care from an amazing Christian family who were experts in drug babies, that it is hard to ever wish he hadn't known them. We remain convinced today that part of the reason he does so well, is because of that early care he had in those first 6 weeks.

Bubba is our miracle baby. We never really imagined we would have another one after Cupcake. It is such an expensive and lengthy process to adopt, but we had Cupcake in less than 9 months. So we knew how blessed we were. Then when she was 6 months old and her adoption had just been finalized (in February), we got a call that her birth mother was expecting and she wanted us to adopt that baby. We were thrilled and scared and uncertain about where we could get another $22,500 in less than six months. But we jumped in. Friends and family helped again with donations, we paid in quite a bit ourselves, and scholarships took care of the rest. Long about June we heard the news that her birth mother had lost the baby. We got matched again right away, but then that birth mother changed her mind.

We really gave up hope. We were planning our move here and time was running out for us. Then our agency director told us to pray for miracle. So we did. On July 19 she called to say "would you like to meet your son?" I was standing in the grocery store with Cupcake who was just 11 mos at the time and I started bawling on the spot. My Mom took us out to meet Bubba. DH was away on a mission trip.

It was love at first sight for all of us. His adoption had fallen through. It just wasn't the right match. Mom took Cupcake and I back out there the next day, so we could take Bubba home. It was July 20, his 6 week birthday. We got our miracle! Now he is 2 years old! I can't believe it.

Big day ahead. Presents when Dad comes home for lunch. Small group tonight with a #2 shaped cake. Now Bubba is old enough to stay up on Tuesday nights and play with the girls. We may have to hire another baby-sitter. Ha! More pictures later.

I just want to say, "Thank you Lord for my precious children!"

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I didn't know you met Bubba first! How cool is that? I cannot imagine the mad dash your DH made from the airport when he got home!!!

    ReplyDelete