Last week, as per tradition, we decorated for Christmas after celebrating Thanksgiving. I would post a picture of our decorated living Christmas tree, but we are in between cameras at the moment. It was so much fun. Cupcake helped and then walked around for days saying, "Pretty Christmas Tree!" Bubba just says "Wow! Cool, cool," every time he sees it. I think this year is going to be so much fun for them. I now understand why parents hide Christmas presents because I couldn't put any out now--they'd be opened before I knew what was happening.So, with the passing of the first Sunday in Advent our countdown to Christmas has begun. This week we have our Christmas open house on Friday. Next week we have the Christmas party for the young adult ministry at our house. Then the next week we have our small group party, followed the next night by the staff Christmas party--also at our house. Yea. I'm not really sure how all of that happened, but it did. Buckling my seat belt for a bumpy ride. We shall see.
Things sort of came to a head yesterday with DH. He left a box full of no-no items down within reach of the kids. Cupcake got into it while we were getting ready for church. I ended up having to scold her, because she wouldn't mind me when I asked her to put the items back. That's when I saw the box down. Oh Lord--I came unglued. I sobbed for about 10 minutes. The whole time trying to explain to DH that if he had just thought 5 minutes ahead he would have made sure he put the box back and Cupcake wouldn't have just gotten into trouble. He was very sweet. He apologized several times and said he was beginning to understand. Then he admitted that he has been acting like a donkey for weeks and how sorry he is. That was so nice.
I read an article yesterday about thoughts and emotions. It said how must people think that emotions dictate thoughts, but that it is actually the other way around. If we think happy or positive thoughts, that it actually improves our emotions. I think that is pretty accurate. I get upset and jealous and then I think negatively and then I feel worse. It's a vicious cycle. Not saying that we don't often have reason to feel bad about things, but maybe I should work harder at thinking positively.
It hadn't occurred to me until two friends mentioned it--that I am probably a bit homesick as well. It does get hard to be away from my family and friends and all of the traditions I have had my whole life. We are working on creating our own traditions, but even that is hard. Christmas is supposed to be in the cold and not the middle of summer. It's caroling and egg nog--not beaches and camping. You can't even buy egg nog here. Oh well. Funny how these things don't come up when you are falling love with and marrying someone from the other side of the world. Who knew?
Okay--back to work. Need to water our living tree and to continue cleaning. Lots of parties to get ready for and lots of Christmas presents to work on.
Now Now, Christmas is 40 degree C heat, barbies on the beach, scurfing for the kids & all the *snow* is melting in the eskie. lol
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine celebrating *properly* when it is too cold to go out & dark early. Here it's cold ice drinks on the verandah while the sun sets, nibbbling leftovers & being *flat out for Australia* with the blokes anticipating the next day's cricket & the Sydney to Hobart.
There are certain advantages to a warm Christmas. The kids will love *spiders* [a scoop of icecream in a fizzy drink] & running about under the sprinker to cool off. Christmas is still Christmas however it's celebrated. As for the egg~nog, there's recipes. You could always make your own...;}
LOL I think Christmas is something they plunk into the middle of winter to make it bearable. So there ya go. :)
ReplyDelete