Monday, December 6, 2010

Rather a Disappointing Start

Well, the Open House was Friday. We had 12 people turn up. Yup, 12. Out of 350+ people, only 12, remembered or made time to come. Not our pastor or his wife, not the office administrator or his wife the office assistant, not the church secretary, not the youth pastors, not our small group, not my Esther class, not the creche lady, or the young mum's group--nope, just 12 random people. Don't get me wrong, we had a great time with those folks who remembered and came. It was a beautiful evening. The food was excellent. Still, I couldn't help but feel a bit deflated. After all of my hard work, all of my shopping and expense, all of the fighting it took with DH to get the house cleaned up Friday afternoon--12 people. The good news is I was able to take my pain medicine and put my sore back to bed early that night.

Saturday we decided to do another grocery run to take advantage of the current $.21 a litre off of gasoline if we spent $150. Of course that meant we are flat broke until Tuesday. Then DH reminded me that he had to make displays for the ministry fair on Sunday. I wasn't feeling very well so I spent a good chunk of the day in bed. Then after putting kiddies to bed I spent the rest of my night (until midnight) making DH's displays and a brochure for one of his ministry areas. He sat working feverishly on his computer. I thought he was writing a sermon for Sunday night. That's only reason I could imagine him not cleaning up the kitchen for me while I did his work. Nope, he was playing a computer game--for about 6 hours--while I made his displays. Yea. That was fun.

Sunday morning we jumped out of bed early and got ready for a long morning at church. We were there at 8 am, a full hour early, so we could copy his new brochure and set-up his displays. When we arrived we were told by the administrator (you know the one who had just blown off our party) that DH didn't have a table. I had to suck up the tears that were starting to flow. I know I must have turned beet red, because I was M-A-D! Funny, I shouldn't really have been mad at the administrator. I guess I was mad at DH because I had expended all of that energy doing his work and now he didn't even have a table. He followed me back to the car and I yelled he had better go find a "f@#$%ing" table. Yes, I did. I was immediately embarrassed and hoped no one heard me. By the time I got the kids out of the car and into the church DH had a table. His displays looked great.

I spent the morning in the creche. They didn't really need me, but I had been asked, so did it. It was very nice. I spent most of the morning just playing with Bubba. And I got to have a big cuddle with a 9 week old baby who smiled at me the whole time. That was pretty special! Then I had a nice nap yesterday afternoon, confident that DH was watching the kids. I was finally woken up by Bubba kicking the wall in his room, indicating he was awake. I came out into the living room to find DH (not watching the kids) playing his computer game. He thought Bubba was still asleep. I told him no, he was awake. Then I found Cupcake out on the deck sawing with our sharpest bread knife. DH hadn't noticed her getting that off the counter or taking it outside.

This morning promised to be better. I had nice chat with my Mom last night and felt better in general. Then I tried to burn the house down by turning on the wrong burner on our glass top stove. I melted a whole stack of plastic plates. The whole house smoked up. I had to try to usher the kids outside while I dealt with the mess, the fumes, and the smoke. DH finally came out and I asked him for help keeping the kids outside. I didn't want Bubba breathing all of that with his asthma. I got told off in no uncertain terms. That was fun.

I have had just a lovely weekend. Actually, some parts were fine. Feeling just a bit overwhelmed and more than a bit misused or taken for granted. Not really sure how to fix this problem with DH. Some of it is the same problem we have always had and some of it seems worse. I feel as if I enable him like--a wife might enable an alcoholic husband by keeping all of his balls in the air for him. I would like to think that we have a partnership. He helps me with my job (the house, the kids, the bills, the shopping, the laundry, etc.) when I need it and I help him when he needs it. But it feels like I am less than a partner and that even when I try to be the dutiful wife who helps out when I am needed and listens to every problem at work--I am not any more appreciated. In fact this weekend the opposite has happened. It feels like I am mistreated.

If I had the money I would take the kids home to the US for a visit. I would leave DH here to think about his life and decide how he can get himself going in the right direction. But I don't. If there were a way to be separated here, I would probably do that. But we don't have that kind of money either. We could try it while still staying in the same house, but that would just make it worse. I just don't know how things will ever get better while we are stuck in the same patterns. It's not that I don't want to be married to DH anymore, I do. I love him. But things can't continue like they are.

You might be wondering if he reads this blog. Rarely. That would require being interested in my life. If he reads this one--so be it.

One party this week and two more next week to get ready for. No more time for blogging. Got to get busy. Yay me.

4 comments:

  1. Bonnie, I am SO sorry to hear all this. When I read through this post, I felt like I had been transported back a few years... My husband and I went through a time that sounds VERY much like this - the similarities are uncanny even. I share this with you not because I take pride in that time, but because I want to try *somehow* to encourage you.

    I felt like you do. I felt over-used and under-appreciated. I felt like I had to do *everything*. I felt like my husband was so immature, not spending time with the family and instead playing computer games. Not seeming to notice everything I did. Ignoring the kids at times.
    Yeah, I've definitely been there. I even wanted to send him back to the States (he is American, I am Aussie) for awhile so the distance would give him time to think - but like you, we couldn't afford it.

    For us, there was a few things that changed this situation. God worked in our hearts. I cannot stress enough how important it is that you take this to the Lord in prayer. That you lean on Him. That you turn to Him rather than turning on others in anger. God understands your anger, He understands your sadness, He understands all your emotions and thoughts and feelings... Whenever I expressed those things to my husband rather than God, it fixed a greater gulf between us. He grew more distant. His bitterness about things I couldn't understand grew greater. I couldn't even understand what his problem was! We basically fed each other's bad feelings instead of pulling together. Then I began to take it to the Lord instead... and it took time, but slowly things started to change and improve.

    The Bible says we should return good for evil as it heaps coals of fire on the other person's head, and it really does work that way. After awhile, if we pray and leave it with God, the other person (our husband in this situation) will start feeling bad because of the difference they see in us. Love takes SO many hard sacrifices. It's not easy. I know that.

    The other thing that happened to bring us together (as a partnership like marriage is supposed to be) was when I got sick; it was a cancer scare. He suddenly realised how much he loved me and how much he didn't want to lose me. Having that scare opened his eyes.

    I'm not suggesting you need to become sick or have some other horrible thing happen to make things get better for you, however I wanted to tell you about it because it shows how God has a way of working things out one way or another, even if it's not pleasant at the time. But we must have FAITH in His ability to work things out for us! We can't change things on our own!

    It took a long time for my husband and I to sort through all our differences, to bridge the gap that had been widening between us. But it happened, and praise the Lord we now share a stronger bond than we EVER have before. The Lord is faithful, and His power is great - we just have to believe in it and have patience while we wait for His timing.

    And most importantly, we must work on our "three-fold cord". My husband had drawn apart from God, and that had been part of the root cause for our troubles. It is VERY important to work on our three-way relationship between husband, wife and GOD.

    I know you don't know me well, and I don't know you well, but I hope my sharing this will encourage you in some way. I don't usually tell people about that time in our marriage, but I felt you might find something in it to help you.

    God be with you, Bonnie. Keep fixing your eyes on Him and things will all work out in His time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious as to how DH feels about things and whether he just feels overwhelmed and wants to disconnect sometimes.

    And I really, really wonder why everyone there keeps getting SICK. It just doesn't sound right! Have they tested for allergies and everything else? Why is someone sick every week!?? I mean, I have SIX kids and a husband and someone isn't sick every week like that. And I'm fat, too, so no fair for doctors to use that as an excuse.

    I'm worried for you. I wish I knew how to make things a bit better for you. I know from personal experience that praying for someone does NOT always make it right. Nothing against what Clara contributed, but rather an addition. She is right that confronting constantly over these things will actually drive him further away/enhance the conflict.

    Try to think of these trials as training for the extra work when the next baby gets here. Or maybe two; they may place a sibling pair with you that will require more work than you've ever imagined.

    Should I pray for three? Maybe I will pray for two and just see if God does exceedingly abundantly ... lol. BLESS YOU and hang in there!! I'm hoping God is just stretching you a bit here and preparing you for A MIGHTY WORK!! Really! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie: I will 2nd Clara. No marriage is perfect. How could it be when it always consists of 2 imperfect people? However I believe you need to take the focus of what's wrong with your Dearest [whom you love, remember?] & concentrate on the changes God wants to make in you! God uses other people, often our spouses, to work the changes He wants in us ~ & it is a most uncomfortable process because most of us don't want to change [well, I never do!] but we do want the other person to be better [for us!]. The way that happens is when we ourselves become more Christ~like. *sigh* I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here but that is how it goes. Eyes off hubby's splinter, focus on our plank in eye. I just wish I took my own good advice when it is me ~ but I don't. I get all hot & bothered, my feelings all hurt & muddly & then I rant at anyone silly enough to suggest that just maybe the problem is me! How dare they! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just an extra comment regarding what 'Happy Elf Mom' said - I wasn't suggesting that prayer alone is automatically the answer to everything... However when we pray, we are speaking to a God who is far more powerful than anything we can ever do ourselves, He can work on hearts and minds when we can't see it. And while prayer doesn't immediately make things right necessarily, prayer certainly helps our own attitude as well, which means it can have multiple purposes. I certainly did not want my comment about prayer to come across like when we pray everything just "magically" turns out right, so I'm sorry if it came across that way! The Bible does make it clear that we should pray "fervently", take everything to God in prayer, and "pray without ceasing". :) Just thought I should clarify!

    ReplyDelete