Thank you so much for the comments on my last post. This has been a hard week. We seem to be moving in the right direction again. I'm not really sure why. Nothing has been spoken about the problems. There just seems to be some space again to pray and to focus on things other than each other. That's nice. I'm sure your prayers, comments, emails, and phone calls have been a huge help to me this week!
Plus--I went to the physio for my neck problem and that helped a lot yesterday. My neck is sore from the deep tissue work, but the spasm feels better. That in itself is a huge relief!
So, what am I thankful for today?
Plus--I went to the physio for my neck problem and that helped a lot yesterday. My neck is sore from the deep tissue work, but the spasm feels better. That in itself is a huge relief!
So, what am I thankful for today?
- I am thankful for my friends and family who love me!
- I am thankful for my sweet little kiddies! Bubba has learned to say "I love you" and he tells me that every morning when he wakes up. Olivia is so into Christmas this year and can't wait to get up and turn the Christmas tree on in the morning. I love the way she says "Christmas Tree."
- I am thankful for my Mom who has helped us so much this month paying for child care and the fees associated with my counselling supervision and registration. She is awesome!
- I am thankful for the best Physical Therapist in the world!
- I am thankful for Vistaprint which has helped me make some of the cutest Christmas gifts ever!
- I am thankful that at the moment we are all healthy!
Recently Mrs. C (Happy Elf Mom) asked me why we were all so sick all of the time. I'm not really sure. But I have a few ideas. We are still getting acclimated to NZ bugs. They are different than US bugs and its only been two years. At the same time we live with two little people who seem to pick-up every bug they are around. While they don't go to school or day care they do take part in about 3 different groups a week and get exposed to 3 different groups of kids. Also, both of our kids have immune related issues like asthma and the febrile convulsions. Then there is the fact that NZ and especially Northland (where we live) had one of the worst flu seasons ever this year. Over the winter they did no elective surgeries because the hospital was full of flu patients. They suspected swine flu, but actually stopped testing for it because it didn't make a difference in treatment. We had the flu twice this winter. Then there is the difference in food storage techniques, etc. It's not the same as in the US. There is A LOT of rotovirus and other tummy bugs that go around here. It could be partly due to things like eggs are not refrigerated in transport or sales--not until they get to our house. I don't know. Then there is the fact that without central heat and air our doors and windows are open all of the time. And in the winter our houses are cold and damp. Slowly, but surely, Kiwis are working on that. Even our new insulated house this year was VERY cold in the winter. We can heat small spaces, but can't afford to run heaters all of the time. It gives me a whole new respect for Grandma who used to tell me to put my hat on or dress warmly so I didn't catch a cold.
I don't think my health issues are related to weight, as much as they are related to stress. It will get better. Believe it or not I am much better than I was 7-8 years ago, even 4 years ago. I used to use 2 inhalers and a pill for asthma plus I had a home nebulizer. I took pills for insulin resistance and arthritis. I don't do any of that any more. But I think the stress and work of being a mother to small children, plus still being a bit homesick, new bugs, etc. does take a toll on me.
Does that answer any questions? I'm praying that 2011 will be a banner year for all of us. That's my goal for all of us.
Now--off to work. We have the young adult party at our house tonight. The kids are off spending the morning with Hera. She is going to be our regular child care person starting in January. She is a trained teacher with loads of experience in handling all kinds of kids. Today is sort of a test run. It's hard for me to let them go. I can't even imagine giving them up 9 hours a week in January. But everyone keeps telling me it will be good for all of us. I hope so. It will be great if it gives me time to work some, especially when I start getting paid. Praying they have a good day today.
I don't think my health issues are related to weight, as much as they are related to stress. It will get better. Believe it or not I am much better than I was 7-8 years ago, even 4 years ago. I used to use 2 inhalers and a pill for asthma plus I had a home nebulizer. I took pills for insulin resistance and arthritis. I don't do any of that any more. But I think the stress and work of being a mother to small children, plus still being a bit homesick, new bugs, etc. does take a toll on me.
Does that answer any questions? I'm praying that 2011 will be a banner year for all of us. That's my goal for all of us.
Now--off to work. We have the young adult party at our house tonight. The kids are off spending the morning with Hera. She is going to be our regular child care person starting in January. She is a trained teacher with loads of experience in handling all kinds of kids. Today is sort of a test run. It's hard for me to let them go. I can't even imagine giving them up 9 hours a week in January. But everyone keeps telling me it will be good for all of us. I hope so. It will be great if it gives me time to work some, especially when I start getting paid. Praying they have a good day today.
Wow, I didn't know that about the eggs. That's... odd. I lived in Aus. for about two years and was never sicker than in the US, so maybe NZ bugs and humidity and heating and stuff is very different. I'm just worried.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I myself have GAINED 40 pounds this year. That's almost a pound a week! And you'd think I'd be eating a lot extra... it doesn't seem like it, but it came from somewhere. Siiigh. I don't want to go to the doctor for anything b/c they will weigh me, yk?
PS. NOTHING beats an "I love you!!" :)
When my husband moved here from the States, he got sick a LOT, and he also found he was struggling with hayfever and related allergies a lot more here. When we went to an immunology specialist, he explained that Sydney is the world's worst city for dust mites, so my husband started desensitisation and he has been *MUCH* healthier since. We also found after he'd been here for a couple years or so that we all stopped getting sick so much, and I think stress had a lot to do with that too, because life slowed down and our stress decreased right around the time our health picked up.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear things are looking up! :)