Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Blessings

This has been a good and busy weekend. It was our last weekend of summer. Yes, we have one more month of HOT weather, but the school year has started and DH is back to work full days. We got lots done on the house, all the grocery shopping, and had a good play at the downtown park complete with ice cream cones.

Last Thursday I met with my new Spiritual Director. I loved her! Her names is Bridie. Isn't that a beautiful name? Not so unusual here, but very unusual in America. She is a bit on the Mother Earth side (by that I mean a little bit of a hippy), but most definitely a Christian. I was a bit of a nervous wreck when I got there. Her house is way up at the top of Memorial Drive (up a big mountain). I have never driven up there myself. I am afraid of heights and so DH has always driven up there for me. Thursday I had to drive alone. Then her street is on the left, sort of hidden. So, I past it, which means I had to turn around up at the top. UGH! Then as I found the house, with Bridie now waiting outside (as I called her when I missed the street), I hit a big dip in her driveway. So embarrassing. Plus I had gulped a double cheeseburger and fries from McDs on the way there, so I belched (on the inside of course) the whole time through our meeting. So attractive!

Anyway--we talked about everything. Things I didn't even mean to talk about came out. I told her all about my kids and how they came to us. We talked about friendships and church and counselling. It was so nice. Remember, I don't have many friends here so I rarely get to just talk like this to another woman. The whole time I kept waiting for her to give me some homework or something. I was expecting a list of things to do for my spiritual health and maybe some Bible verses. But that's not the way Bridie works. Which is all the better for me. I don't need one more area of life in which to feel less than adequate. She finally said something that suddenly made so much sense to me and it was like the Heavens opened and I had insight into my life. After I was talking about how I want God to be the center of everything I do, think, and say and how I fail at that. She said, "Who gave you these children?" I said, "God." She said, "For what purpose did He give you these children?" I said, "so that they can be loved, happy, and healthy." She said, "So how do you honour this blessing, this task that God has given you?"

Suddenly it all made sense. I don't need to spend hours a day on my knees. I don't need to read more or study more. I need to thank God everyday for my family and make sure that everything I do for them is working as unto God. When I am caring for my family in a way that makes us loved, happy and healthy I am serving God. That was awesome! Why hadn't I really thought of that before? I suppose I had, in some way, but it hadn't really sunk in.

So this weekend I have worked extra hard. Not just at my tasks, but at being happy and grateful. Happiness is, after all, not just an emotion. It is a state of mind. It is something that choose to put on more days than not. It's been a great weekend. And even though I am flat broke and concerned about money--I am determined to leave my worries with God and to choose happiness.

What's on for this week? Supervision, counselling client, physio (still treating my back), Cupcake's EEG on Friday morning, and her "Happy Adoption Day" on Saturday. Nana and Poppa are coming up Thursday night for the weekend. Oh--and Cupcake and Bubba start "school" on Thursday morning. Next week it will be the regular three mornings a week. I'll be sure to take pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment