Saturday, May 28, 2011

So...

The rest of my week has been so much better. Bubba got back into the groove of his routine. Other than not eating much at the moment (think extra picky) he has been pretty easy the rest of the week. But tomorrow is the big test. It's Sunday--which means c-h-u-r-c-h. DH and I discussed it. We talked about the possibility of my entertaining Bubba, away from everyone else, until church starts and then entering the sanctuary with him. This would keep everyone from talking to him and getting him all stirred up. It would mean I didn't have to fight him for 20-30 minutes until children's time and then Sunday School class. But would he be learning anything? No.

So, we have decided to proceed as usual. This will mean fighting him to sit down and be quite (read no screaming) until church starts. Then getting through to children's time and Sunday School. It usually involves a lot of "holding" (read his legs between mine, while I hold him firmly on my lap, trying not to get a head butt to the chin), calm talking, threats of being removed to the car, and finally spending 5-10 minutes in the car until he calms down. My prayer is that eventually he will learn to relax and to trust that he can do what he wants (children's time and Sunday School) after he has gotten through the beginning of the service.

The reality is whatever his issues--FAS or Austism or ADHD--he will have to learn how to function within our world. Church is not just a place of worship for us--it is DH's livlihood. Bubba has to learn how to cope in church, at least long enough to get to where he wants to go. I think he will get it eventually.

Also--GOOD NEWS--our social worker called. Our approval as foster parents should be through next week! That's exciting. It means that if we are approved as foster paretns, it should also be no problem for us to be approved for the adoption pool. Yay! One way or another there will be some more little people coming through our home and maybe even becoming part of the family. Yay! Oops--I already said that.

Nothing else new to report.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yayy!! I know you're going to do great when the next batch o' kids arrives. Hoping for good things very soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited and can't wait to see pictures! :D

    ReplyDelete