Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Good Reports

Last week Ian had his first Occupational Therapy appointment of the year. It was a really good appointment. He hadn't been since before Christmas, so it had been about 3 weeks. She was very happy with how much progress he's made, especially considering how far he's come since we started. That was really nice. We have gone from weekly/fortnightly appointments to monthly/6-weekly appointments. Yay!

He has learned how to take turns. He has learned how to focus on tasks for longer than 3-5 minutes. He is participating better in group situations--like Sunday school and church. And he is learning how to use his inside voice. He is also talking quite a bit more. He still has days where most of his talking is gibberish. We call it "Ian speak." But then there are days where he uses a ton of words and speaks in sentences.

The speech therapist hasn't gotten back to work yet this year (it's summer here, combined with Christmas/New Year's). So we haven't had any speech therapy yet from all of the testing and evaluating that took place at the end of last year. I am hopeful that it will start soon.

This week we should know more about his hearing. He has his next audiology appointment on Friday. And we have finally gotten the notice to go back to the pediatrician on Feb. 8. That will be good. We'll have a chance to re-evaluate what's happening with the little guy. It all seems really hopeful. We are beginning to feel like he may catch up given enough time and effort. We just keep plugging away at our tasks.

What was really amazing this week is that we had the "Before School" check for Olivia--she did great. She is very advanced (according to them) with her learning and behaviour. I think she's pretty normal, so not sure what they are used to seeing at the check. Her hearing was good. Her vision was a bit short. I'm thinking that Mommy and Sissy need to have the vision tested by a professional.

Anyway--the amazing part was the questions they ask. Obviously this would be the "check" where they would normally come across a kid like Ian. Olivia is 4.5. That means for a lot, if not most, families with kids like Ian don't get any help or testing until they are 4.5. I can't even imagine. It's taken us a year to get this far. If we hadn't gotten any attention until he was 4.5 he wouldn't have been anywhere near ready to start school at 5. I really struggle with this. There must be something we can do in the community to make sure that all parents know they can and should push for help as soon as they notice their child has any kind of deficit.

When asked about which school Olivia would be attending--I said, "we are going to homeschool." She was pleasantly supportive. That was so nice. It's the first time I said that to an official type person and I was glad it went so well. Hee-hee. I can't believe my baby girl will be 5 in August. Where has the time gone?

Can I just say, one more time, I really love being a Mom?! I am so proud of my kids and so grateful that I am their Mom. What an extreme blessing and treasure. I think this is going to be a great year full of lots of surprises.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad Ian is doing so well! Maybe your church can help make the community aware through a workshop where someone who does the testing or another representative comes in for a mass screening. Or you can have pamphlets near your "Are You Saved?" tracts in the lobby. (lol ok, no one has those any more. I sort of miss them.)

    Early intervention and work at home makes a big difference but it's not a cure. We are going to have lifelong struggles with some of our children. Some of my children will never catch up. :(

    It's good to see you doing so well! Continued prayers for your family... haven't heard anything so not sure what to think. Anyway take care! :)

    ReplyDelete