My brother and two sisters.He's the youngest of those 3. They are:
Mary Lou (52), Martin (51), and Lee Ann (54)
Martin & Lisa (married 26 years today)Matthew (24), Morgan (21), Layne (18)
This is my family. We are actually only half-siblings, but for the most part we never called ourselves that or thought of it much--unless the girls were mad at my Dad or angry with Mom over my Dad. Their father was my mother's high school sweetheart who cheated on her during his two tours in Vietnam. They were married 13 years. She was divorced about 2 months when she married my Dad. Four and a half years later I was born. Mom and Dad have been married the better part of 44 years--separated and/or divorced from each other 4 times.
Ours is a complicated family. There has always been jealousy and judgement. But also a lot of love and a lot of fun. I was going to look for some silly pictures of Martin and I when we were kids, but I haven't had time. Poor boy was almost 12 when I was born. When he was 16 we had to share a room. He left the next year. My Dad always treated him the worst--of the older kids. But Martin never held that against me. He loved me anyway and really has always accepted me for whoever I was at the time and whatever I was in to. It's probably harder for him now that I am so "Christian," but he used to be too at one time in his life.
Anyway--DH had Elder's meeting last night. One of the Elder's brought it up and they decided to ask for donations on Sunday for me to be able to go to Denver to see Martin. I was overwhelmed. What a huge thing! They asked how much we needed, $3,000 NZ just for me to travel. But if we get more, they will give us all of it. I am kind of hoping there might be enough for DH and the kids to go too. I would take just one of the kids, but which one? And not sure they could stand to be a part.
So, Monday I send in our form to get our indefinite resident's visas. That takes about a week to get back. And then I will be off the USA. I can't believe it. It's been almost 4 years. Funny part is, as much as I want to see my brother, I can't wait to get home. This is definitely home now and I will miss my dog, my cats, my bed, my family, even my work. But if all goes well--I will get to see my big brother again. Mom wants me to go to Texas too and see Dad. That would be good (he's 82). I'll also get to see Lee Ann and her family, and my bestie. I might even get to eat some Mexican Food and shop at Target or Babies R Us. Is it horrible that I can still think of food and shopping?
Please continue to pray for Martin and his family. My Mom is with him now. Lee Ann has just gone home after several weeks there. My poor sister-in-law, Lisa, lost her sister 10 years ago today as well. She's had so much loss in her life. I can't imagine how she will cope through this.

I hope it works out that at least you get to go if not the whole family. I never thought of shopping at Target and eating Mexican food as being exotic, but next time I do I will think of you. Prayers for your whole family esp. Martin!
ReplyDeleteWow, that does sound like a complicated family but it sounds someone like mine. My sisters are my half sister, we share the same mom. My mom's first husband was an alcoholic and cheated on her alllllll the time, several times a week and gambled all the time. They were married 4 years before she met my dad, had an affair and got pregnant with me. She got a divorce and married my dad. My parents have been married 32 years. I look nothing like my two sisters as they are 6 feet tall with dark hair and freckles. I'm only 5'5" with blonde hair.
ReplyDeleteAnyhow, you story is amazing and there is nothing wrong with wanting to eat the food and shop here since it's been so long! lol. My sis and her 4 kids just got back from South Africa after 6 years and they were so excited to see everything again in America.