Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Love Summer

We came to gardening a bit late. But we have been doing it over the summer this year. After we had been gone a few days we came home to this giant courgette! Ian picked it. Yesterday, while Ian was hanging out with Dad and Dad was talking to the neighbour--he picked my rock melon! It was almost ready, so I am hopeful that it will ripen up. That's the first time I have tried to grow rock melon (cantalope) and I love rock melon. They can cost up to $8 each here. We've got a gorgeous vine--taking up half a garden box and then some, but only one melon. If anyone has any advice on melons I would greatly appreciate it. I'll have to take a picture of our tomatoes which are late, but lovely!

The kids had a great day at kindy today. They went on a teddy bear picnic. I love Wednesdays! They play hard all day and come home exhausted so go to bed early. Which is good for Mummy since I've been at work at all day, I need an early night.

Got a call from the speech therapist today. She is coming to the house on Tuesday to observe Ian some more and to start the speech therapy plan. She was so sweet about him. She said she looked forward to seeing him again, that he is a special boy. A mother never gets tired of hearing things like that, even if whoever says it is just being nice.

So our flooded carpet in the new play room now stinks! It smells a bit like cat pee to me, but it's not cat pee. It's just damp carpet. We've had the dehumidifier in there and the fan. I think tomorrow if it is dry, I will try to shampoo with our lavendar carpet shampoo. We also have deodorizer we use where the dog has accidents, so maybe I can get the stink out. I hope. I really don't want to have to replace the carpet. I so don't need that right now.

Glad that my work week is over. I love counselling, but I hate the rush of trying to get out the door on Wednesdays. And I hate leaving my kids. My hope is that having my office at home will help a lot of that. I could have put dinner on today or petted the dog in between clients today--that would have been nice.

No news on my brother. My Mom is going up to see him Thursday (her time). She is staying 2-3 weeks, I think. He may get to come home on Thursday with a visiting home nurse. He is coming to terms now with the fluid not coming off his heart, but he thinks it's his fault. Can you imagine not even being able to eat what you want for the last 6 years, having a port in your heart that pumps medicine into you every 3 minutues 24 hours a day, and still being so sick? It must be terrible. I hope that if they decide there is nothing more they can do--that he gets to eat a big steak and a giant baked potato. Or maybe some of Mom's homemade chicken fried steak--that was always his favourite.

Tomorrow it is back to cleaning house, deodorizing carpet, and playing with my babies. It will be a good day! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Wow to that HUGE MELON!
    It sounds like your garden is doing VERY WELL.
    We gave up on a vege garden, and now I am growing a few lettuces and such in pots. Much easier on the back! And less weeding... we hate weeding... lol.

    How sad for your brother... I hope he does rally and get better AND can eat steak and potatoes!

    ReplyDelete