Well, it's been almost 3 weeks since we got Ace and Cookie and 2 weeks since Dude came to live with us. This week has been HECTIC! But I am still in love with this large family.
It all started on the 24th when Sissy came down with strep throat. Then on the 26th Bubby spent the day in hospital with his asthma brought on by a fever and a cold. On the 27th I took Dude to the emergency clinic to have his ears checked and sure enough he had a double infection. Finally, on Wednesday the 28th I took Cookie to the GP and she sent us on to the hospital where we stayed 3 days. Shwew. All the while DH was away at school in Auckland and poor Granny was at home looking after whoever was there while Cookie and I were at the hospital.
DH came home Thursday, a day early, and he has the worst case of the man flu he's ever had. He really is sick, bless his heart, but man he's a big baby about it. Thankfully, everyone but Cookie is off their antibiotics or steroids and life is slowing returning to normal. Whatever normal is when you are suddenly go from being a small family to a large one. :-)
Last week "access" started with the parents. It's the first they have had in 3 months. I gather it came as a compromise that the parents fought for since they are fighting the affidavit that was used to uplift the kids to begin with. I HATE it! The kids hate it. They don't want to go and then they come home all upset. But apparently even abusive parents have more rights than defenseless and abused babies.
I continue to pray for God's will regarding the future of our family. We keep hearing how the parents are working on straightening themselves out. I find that doubtful, since this is the third+ time the kids have been removed from their custody and the abuse only gets worse. I hope that their future will not include them being given back to an unsafe family where something worse may happen. That would break my heart. In the mean time we all just love them as much as possible!
These babies are so happy here. They are thrilled to sit at the table for meals, to have new clothes, to have fruit to eat, to have cuddles, to read books, to chase pets--anything and everything seems to be such a huge blessing for them. It is amazing to behold.
Today, all day--despite my best efforts to put this thought aside--I keep thinking about how we could take on the other 4 siblings. It's an insane thought! We are already so busy with the 5 we have. How could any of us possibly do more? My only thought is that if they all become available for permanent guardianship or adoption--wouldn't it be great if they could all be together. Our house is just about big enough, with some creative planning. I know--it's nuts! I'm not going to mention it to DH or Granny. I am just going to keep praying and let God do the rest.
Praying for the health and happiness of all of the children. Praying that God's will prevails in the future of these children and hoping that includes them staying with us. Praying for the strength and stamina to do all that needs to be done and to face whatever comes our way.
No comments:
Post a Comment