Monday, March 15, 2010

Big Daddy Goes to School

Big Daddy left this morning at 4:30 am, which means he got up at 4 am. I am such a good wife (tongue-in-cheek). I got at 4 am too, made his breakfast, made his coffee, and loaded his car. It was so hard to say goodbye. I missed him immediately. Poor baby. As excited as he has been about school, he really didn't want to leave this morning.

It's funny. I don't think we realize what a tight knit group we are until he goes away for a few days. I know that its something most people don't understand. Yesterday our cousins were over again to help us measure for a fence. Dave (DH's 2nd cousin--age 70?) went out to help him measure. Jan (Dave's wife) stayed in with me. The kids just LOVE her. She is their favorite babysitter. But Jan always has something to say about what I should be doing that I am not or what the kids should be doing that they aren't, etc. God love her. I just listen and smile and try not to take it in.She means well. Anyway, even she lectures on how time a part is necessary and keep my chin up, etc.

I would spend some time regurgitating the whole thing--Cupcake should talk more, Cupcake should start "kindy" (pre-school, all children 3 and over get 20 hours a week for free) in August, the public schools here are great, I can't shield them from the world, Bubba needs to run more, they need to be outside more, blah, blah, blah...But I won't waste my precious blogging time this morning with that. Right now I am super busy typing, and playing cars with Bubba. Thinking about going to the park for a walk and to feed the ducks since we have the car handy this morning. I need to buy some newspaper for the puppy. 

Today my mantra is: I am a fertile woman (everyday mantra). Today will be a good day. We will get lots of work done and have lots of fun. We will not be sad or afraid because DH is at school. God loves me just the way I am. Thank you Jesus!

3 comments:

  1. YOWZIE... how do you live with that criticism??

    I'd have said more than a few choice words about how maybe Cupcake is MY kid and I can figure out how many words per minute is appropriate (she's not TYPING, you know)... and that the public schools aren't good enough for *my* kids, and that if she doesn't shut her yap, I'm going to be shielding my kids from HER as well.

    Ok, that was my initial reaction.

    What did you say? Did you just sit there and let her verbally abuse you like that? Because my Jesus made a cord whip and turned some tables over in His day. Meek, mild, and holding some lambie with his ET glowing heart, He was not.

    Seriously. Don't let her treat you like that! Grr. Don't make me come over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's see we've lived her 18 mos. We've been comfortable with them for maybe 12 mos (Andy didn't grow knowing this part of his family--his parents are separatists). Jan is actually a kind person, but she believes that if she loves you she HAS to tell you what to do. I listen to some, argue with some, and ignore the rest. At some point I will just have to flat out tell her why we choose to homeschool and that is the end of the discussion...The trouble is, I'm not sure there ever is an end to the discussion with this woman. Sadly, she is very sweet and I love her. She is warm and kind and loves America, so I never get the negative America crap from her--which is worth a lot at the moment. Plus she is a also a church member. So not only is she family--she is a church member which gives me twice the reason to be as gracious as possible when most of the time I want to run screaming from the room.

    I guess the worst part is that everyone--accept DH and I--LOVES Bubba. He is cute and outgoing, he laughs all the time and always wants to cuddle. Cupcake is very smart, but a bit bashful. She makes you work much harder to gain her trust and affection. So we constantly have to deal with people (even the grandparents) loving on Bubba and ignoring Cupcake. That anyone would think her less than smart because she is quiet really pisses me off. She is 2.5. She can count to ten. She can write the first three letters of her name. She can read her name when she sees it written down. She is not dumb. She is not behind or slow. She's had just as rough a start as Bubba (the excuse people give for why he needs more love) and because she is more sensitive she will likely struggle with it longer.

    All I can say is maybe that's why God gives us parents, as well as, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, etc. Where one fails the others make-up the difference. But if I ever have words with this cousin it will be about Cupcake and just how brilliant and loveable she really is. Sniff...sniff...

    Thank you for being my friend and for standing up for me. I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've learned to let things roll off my back but it's hard when its family or friends you see all the time because you have to put up with it more often. I've gotten tougher in this area where I just nod, smile, and change the subject. >:)

    ReplyDelete