So, what's with birthdays that cause us to think about where we have been and where we are going? Now that the dreaded birthday has actually come and gone (can we say one more year closer to 40?) I actually feel okay. I am sort of surprised by that. I think I expected to feel older, old even.
Since I have had a few hours to calm down, relax, and settle back into life as I know it--I have been thinking about starting a new blog again. Not a write about my life blog, but a spiritual/devotional/seeking/Christian woman type blog. Maybe its because I have more time and space in my brain since ladies' camp is over (it went really well by the way), or maybe its because I am older and seeking a purpose to life beyond motherhood. Who knows? I am really mulling it over, even considering having a professional build me a website. We'll see.
All of this has lead me to think about my "family." Had a great visit with my mother. Yes, there were several moments of us driving each other crazy. But I think we remain grateful for the relationship that we have. It is something that she doesn't share with my siblings. It also gave me some insight (possibly) into my siblings' relationship with her.
I was looking through FB last night and came across one of my sister's profiles. I was looking at her albums and I realized that I don't even know her. Her life is totally foreign to me. As foreign as I am sure my life is to her. I was looking at her friends and thought--I bet they don't even know I exist. I bet they don't know that my sister has a bi-racial, adopted, niece and nephew.
Then I got sort of sad, although not surprised, that I didn't even get a card from either sister or my brother this year--for my birthday, last week. No phone call. Not even a message on FB. Usually that would make me really sad. I have a whole card mission and I try to send them out every month, even if I am running late. It is important to me to keep in touch, on whatever superficial level I am allowed to interact with my sibs. What I realize with each passing year is that I am not so important to them--especially my one sister.
Over the years I have been tempted to just say out loud to her--you know, let's just stop pretending to be sisters. But then I think why stir the pot? What I discovered the other day, while looking at her FB profile, is--I don't really care if she knows me or not. Is that sad?
At what point do we just move on, grow into our own person-hood and cease to be affected by others? Even others who are part of our own family? Maybe I am finally growing a thick skin or just learning to love who I am in Christ, in my family, in my church, etc. That would be nice. That is what I would like to learn to focus on.
Enough pondering this morning. I am so happy to be home. I have so much housework to do. The kids are attempting to settle back into normal life. Smells like dog pee in the hallway--I think if that dog is going to get potty trained it will be up to me. DH is totally irresponsible. So, life goes on. Who has time to worry about stupid things like birthday cards?
I just hope that our little family will remain closer than my family of origin. I hope and pray that our children grow up to love each other and to love us in a way that sustains us as a family. That is my goal.
Since I have had a few hours to calm down, relax, and settle back into life as I know it--I have been thinking about starting a new blog again. Not a write about my life blog, but a spiritual/devotional/seeking/Christian woman type blog. Maybe its because I have more time and space in my brain since ladies' camp is over (it went really well by the way), or maybe its because I am older and seeking a purpose to life beyond motherhood. Who knows? I am really mulling it over, even considering having a professional build me a website. We'll see.
All of this has lead me to think about my "family." Had a great visit with my mother. Yes, there were several moments of us driving each other crazy. But I think we remain grateful for the relationship that we have. It is something that she doesn't share with my siblings. It also gave me some insight (possibly) into my siblings' relationship with her.
I was looking through FB last night and came across one of my sister's profiles. I was looking at her albums and I realized that I don't even know her. Her life is totally foreign to me. As foreign as I am sure my life is to her. I was looking at her friends and thought--I bet they don't even know I exist. I bet they don't know that my sister has a bi-racial, adopted, niece and nephew.
Then I got sort of sad, although not surprised, that I didn't even get a card from either sister or my brother this year--for my birthday, last week. No phone call. Not even a message on FB. Usually that would make me really sad. I have a whole card mission and I try to send them out every month, even if I am running late. It is important to me to keep in touch, on whatever superficial level I am allowed to interact with my sibs. What I realize with each passing year is that I am not so important to them--especially my one sister.
Over the years I have been tempted to just say out loud to her--you know, let's just stop pretending to be sisters. But then I think why stir the pot? What I discovered the other day, while looking at her FB profile, is--I don't really care if she knows me or not. Is that sad?
At what point do we just move on, grow into our own person-hood and cease to be affected by others? Even others who are part of our own family? Maybe I am finally growing a thick skin or just learning to love who I am in Christ, in my family, in my church, etc. That would be nice. That is what I would like to learn to focus on.
Enough pondering this morning. I am so happy to be home. I have so much housework to do. The kids are attempting to settle back into normal life. Smells like dog pee in the hallway--I think if that dog is going to get potty trained it will be up to me. DH is totally irresponsible. So, life goes on. Who has time to worry about stupid things like birthday cards?
I just hope that our little family will remain closer than my family of origin. I hope and pray that our children grow up to love each other and to love us in a way that sustains us as a family. That is my goal.
Catching up. ☺ Families are odd. My siblings think I'm stupid but one died a few years back & the repucussions have been interesting to say the least. I get on better with my mum than I ever have. Her family is now even more important to her. She tolerates my quirks better. I try to avoid my remaing brother. Absolutely nothing in common & his wife's lack of modesty [both for herself & her daughter] make me hugely uncomfortable. She's also a control freak & I don't do well with that.
ReplyDeleteYet I have twins & despite the huge rows they don't seem able to untangle themselves from each other so I'm not sure what's worse. Some families seem to manage a happy medium but I honestly think that's pretty rare.
So much in this post. I do understand some of those feelings. I can tell you from personal experience that just going ahead and having the fight brings a whole new set of consequences and affects the relationships with the people you DO get along with... but... at least everyone knows how everyone feels.
ReplyDeleteI so hope you had a happy birthday....I totally missed it ...great friend huh?
ReplyDeleteMy brother hasn't sent me a txt or card in two years...everyone else gets one...
but I wll keep sending him a card and txt cause I am determined to be better than that....
Who knows why families are the way they are...but you have DH, cupcake, and bubba (for now) they are your family.enjoy them.xxx
You know it isn't that hard to make your own website and it is kinda fun...if I can do it anyone can...
ReplyDeleteGive it a go :-)