Sunday, May 23, 2010

Three posts in one day I must be crazy!

DH has taken Bubba to the med clinic again. He is still vomiting and really feels lousy. This would be bad enough if DH wasn't leaving today to go to school. I have been concerned for some time now that the drugs Bubba was exposed to in the womb (his birth mother free based cocaine) might be affecting his immunity, because he sick all of the time. I haven't found a link with that in any research online, but here is what I found.

Cocaine use in utero causes:

  • sleep problems in children
  • emotional and behavioral problems in children-adolescence
  • abnormal brain development
  • altered cellular function
  • ADHD or hyperactivity that cannot be treated with standard medicinal options, drug exposed kids are usually immune to Ritalin, etc.
  • impulsivity, especially in males (seeing that already)
  • Altered dopamine receptor function which affects brain processes that control movement, emotional response, and ability to experience pleasure and pain
We weren't worried about the possible problems before. Everything we had read in 2008 and before seemed to indicate that drug babies raised in healthy homes had every chance of developing normally and being happy, healthy children. I have just been determined to help Bubba and his trouble with immunity, so I have been researching. All of this research is new, within the last 2-3 years and just now showing up online.

Sometimes knowledge is a dangerous thing. Just wondering what else we will have to deal with in the future. We already have a little boy who has no sense of caution and no impulse control. Thinking that Mummy needs to get prepared. And that a whole of lot of prayer is in order!

In the mean time the doctor thinks we have several more days of tummy bug ahead. Apparently he can re-infect himself through his nappy rash. Who knew? I feel so sorry for him.

4 comments:

  1. A thought, don't know if it will really help but it was a comment I read about training our children in contentment. Anyway the idea was to sit with your child in silence for just 5 minutes at a time to start with, not talking, no games or books, just sitting quietly. I guess it is a form of meditation but may hep him learn to slow down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What??? This doctor sounds useless! Arg! He can reinfect himself and he's not able to keep food down; that sounds like trouble.

    If he keeps not drinking and stuff I would just take him to the ER. Seriously. I will check your blog in the morning to see how things are going... hopefully MUCH BETTER and soon. I will pray for you before I go to bed.

    Hugs to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing here... checking facebook... praying...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do know you're morally obligated to post at this point if you're able. Ok, seriously... worrying... I see your post two hours ago on fb that you would give anti-nausea med and see how it goes. (That's not revealing too much I assume... if it is, don't publish, ok?)

    Hope you are sleeping and all is well. Still praying for you and still worried for Bubba!!

    ReplyDelete