Sunday, June 20, 2010

Plan B

For the first time in weeks DH and I got out last night. It was lovely. Not a date really, but a close second. We went to the church's mid-winter Christmas dinner, which was really just a lamb (yuck!) dinner potluck with a special speaker. Although I am not a big fan of lamb, the dinner was nice and it was good to see the church packed on Saturday night. Plus I finally got to hear Rob Harley speak.Rob is a NZ journalist and a Christian. He's travelled all over the world for work and does great inspirational programs for TV. Right now he is working with a group to produce short films for the school system on emotional endurance. He called it something else, but it is really about teaching kids how to overcome things that seem insurmountable at the time. It's pretty amazing.

Anyway, the subject of his talk was about Plan B. It was about our Saturdays in life. You know that day between Good Friday and Easter. The day that Christ was dead and the disciples were lost, not sure of what to do next or what would happen next. Its that day when all hope seems lost. He told a few really great stories about people whose lives were changed by horrible events and how they had to change to Plan B. Not necessarily what they wanted out of life or what they had envisioned, but making the most of their changed life. And how often Plan B is the plan for our lives.

He also told the story of the Izatt family from Pennsylvania. Some of you in America may remember when the CBS Early Show used to do those specials. The guy would put his finger on a map and then we he got there he would put his finger in a phone book and do a story on that person. The Izatt's are adoptive/foster parents. Suzi the Mom talked about having a hysterectomy on her 25th birthday and how she new then that God must have had something better in mind for her. It was pretty powerful.

Suddenly I was very convicted. I wondered if I have stopped at any point over the last 2.75 years since becoming a Mom and just thanked God for my Plan B. I felt like maybe I wouldn't be so sad if I just gave up on Plan A--my all consuming desire to give birth to a child. Maybe I would be able to rejoice in every moment (rejoice more) with my children if I realized that my Plan B is pretty amazing!

I realized a few weeks ago that my desire to have a child isn't really limited to giving birth. I just want more kids. At the time of the Izatt family story, the Mom Suzi was 40 (older than me) and had 3 boys. Today, eleven years later, she has six! That is pretty awesome!

I guess what I am saying is that my goal is to focus on the blessings of my Plan B. A few years ago I never thought I would have "A" child much less two children. I never thought I would get to room with my newborn baby girl in the hospital after seeing her be born, and then get wheeled out of the hospital with her in my arms. But three years ago this August--that is exactly what happened. And then 11 months later God blessed me again. I don't really know how it happened, but it did and it was/is a miracle.

What I know, for sure, is that I couldn't possibly love my children any more than if I had given birth to them. And in a way I did. It is sort of cliche now, but I believe I gave birth to them in my heart. They are our family. It's a pretty amazing Plan B.

Now if we could just get over this cold and figure out how to stay healthy for longer than two weeks at a time. That would be awesome! Cupcake threw-up in the middle of the night last night, but I think she just gagged. I don't think it is tummy related. So, we are home again on a Sunday morning for the second week in a row. But at least I got out last night! Praise God and thanks to Auntie Anne!

Happy Sunday everyone. I know you all have Plan B stories. It would be great to hear them.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, you have Plan B. I think Plan A AND more of Plan B can happen to you. I really do. I know you are profoundly grateful for your children no matter how they get here. :)

    ReplyDelete