Friday, July 30, 2010

What to do when idiot doctor turns out to be the head of the department?

So, I have been awake for the last 20 hours. Ever since Cupcake awoke at 4:15 am. She was inconsolable, she was non-responsive and floppy for about 15-20 minutes, and her temp was 40C (104 F). We know she had another febrile convulsion. Her third this year, her fourth in total. Following the protocol we stripped her, gave her Tylenol, and took her to the ER. Well, I did. DH stayed home with sleeping Bubba.

Usually our treatment at the hospital here is impeccable. Always very helpful and kind. Last night/this morning was horrible. We arrived around 5 am. The nurses were all sleepy and could barely stay awake. The guy leading us to our room literally ran into the door. He didn't check her, he didn't take her temp again, he didn't offer her a drink or an ice block (Popsicle). We did not see one doctor until well after 8 am. Usually we would see one immediately. This doctor was a student, not a problem, who had been circling outside and seen everyone else but us. Apparently he was waiting on the Paediatric consult who never came--so he came in himself.

He questioned every statement I made. And came up with the brilliant conclusion that she had night terrors. Yes, I took my daughter to the ER at 5 am for a bad dream, according this idiot. I explained everything again. I tried not to argue. We have dealt with night terrors--this was not that. He left the room. A nurse came and moved us to another room. She came back again to take a urine sample. (Offered to put on movie we never got--beside the point)

Some time around 9:30 am we saw another idiot doctor. I had been listening to this American sounding guy hitting on all of the nurses for an hour. I kept praying he wasn't a doctor. He was. He said the other doctor didn't "believe me" about the convulsion. I wish I had thought to say--"what child with a history of febrile convulsions (the first of which happened in the hospital last year) who has a temp of 40, doesn't have a convulsion?" But I didn't think of it. The urine was clear, blah, blah, viral, blah, blah...

Her tonsils are swollen, but not red--so not the cause. No throat culture. No blood test. Not even another dose of Tylenol or a temperature after being admitted to ER.

I get sent home wishing I carried references and credentials that said--I am a grown women of sound mind. I am not an idiot. I hold two advanced degrees. I am a good mother. I know my child. Now, please help us.

Turns out--the second idiot--the American (I am ashamed to say)--is the head of the Emergency Department. Yup. Surprised I haven't run into him before. Hope I never run into him again.

So, since 6:30 pm last night it has been medicine every 2 hours as her fever rose again--hoping to not have a repeat tonight. It's 12:30 am. I can't sleep. Why are some doctors so stupid?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Bonnie... I'm so, so sorry. Praying for Cupcake RIGHT NOW and hoping for a good update soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get back here and post! I miss you. Hope all is well. :)

    ReplyDelete