Just when I thought we were on the mend, Cupcake had another febrile convulsion two weeks to the day after her last one. So, off the emergency clinic we went. Bubba and I got checked out too. There was nothing wrong with Cupcake other than fever of unknown origin. Bubba was wheezing and has an ear infection--so he got antibiotics and steroids. I have bronchitis and got antibiotics and anti-yeast infection medicine. Yay (said without enthusiasm).
Cupcake ran a fever all night Thursday night, all day yesterday and all night last night. When she woke-up from her nap yesterday she was burning hot again. She was grey in colour and really out of it. She just sat there saying "ow" but couldn't tell us where she hurt. We scooped her up and took her to the GP. He still couldn't find anything wrong with her. But he did order a bunch of blood tests this time. We left there and went to the lab. Cupcake was so good. She sat still, didn't cry or scream and even said thank you and good bye when we left. They gave her a lollipop and a ton of stickers. It was so sweet.
After about 10 hours of Tylenol and Ibuprofen every two hours, at 8:45 pm last night, her temp was still 102 F (39 C). We called our GP at home. He was nice. He said I could take her to the hospital. Then he suggested we try a fan first. That helped a lot. She cooled off totally by about 12:30 am. And we all got some sleep. She is much better this morning. She ate a big dinner last night and a good breakfast this morning. They had baths this morning and that really perked them up. Now she is dancing around the living room while watching the Snoodle story on Veggie Tales.
We will be at the GP next week to see the blood test results. He said he is referring us to a specialist (Pediatrician) after that. That will be good. Just investigating will make me feel better. Most kids only ever have 5 febrile convulsions between 12 months and age 5. She has had 4 this year, 2 in the last 2 weeks, and 5 in total. That seems like too many to me.
Don't even get me started on how angry I get at her birth mother, because she knows absolutely nothing about the birth father. He was a one night stand and she didn't even know his name. Febrile convulsions can turn into epilepsy if you have a family history of epilepsy, we just don't know. It is so frustrating. I try to make myself feel better by telling myself that we probably don't know all of our own family histories.
Anyway, on to other news--Bubba climbed out of his crib today, while still wearing his sleeping bag. He was so proud. I just about cried, because now we have to put him into a big boy bed. No more babies sleeping in cribs in my house. That's just not fair!
Now trying to slowly get the house back in order. Trying to get myself back in order. So ready for this season of illness to be over.
Cupcake ran a fever all night Thursday night, all day yesterday and all night last night. When she woke-up from her nap yesterday she was burning hot again. She was grey in colour and really out of it. She just sat there saying "ow" but couldn't tell us where she hurt. We scooped her up and took her to the GP. He still couldn't find anything wrong with her. But he did order a bunch of blood tests this time. We left there and went to the lab. Cupcake was so good. She sat still, didn't cry or scream and even said thank you and good bye when we left. They gave her a lollipop and a ton of stickers. It was so sweet.
After about 10 hours of Tylenol and Ibuprofen every two hours, at 8:45 pm last night, her temp was still 102 F (39 C). We called our GP at home. He was nice. He said I could take her to the hospital. Then he suggested we try a fan first. That helped a lot. She cooled off totally by about 12:30 am. And we all got some sleep. She is much better this morning. She ate a big dinner last night and a good breakfast this morning. They had baths this morning and that really perked them up. Now she is dancing around the living room while watching the Snoodle story on Veggie Tales.
We will be at the GP next week to see the blood test results. He said he is referring us to a specialist (Pediatrician) after that. That will be good. Just investigating will make me feel better. Most kids only ever have 5 febrile convulsions between 12 months and age 5. She has had 4 this year, 2 in the last 2 weeks, and 5 in total. That seems like too many to me.
Don't even get me started on how angry I get at her birth mother, because she knows absolutely nothing about the birth father. He was a one night stand and she didn't even know his name. Febrile convulsions can turn into epilepsy if you have a family history of epilepsy, we just don't know. It is so frustrating. I try to make myself feel better by telling myself that we probably don't know all of our own family histories.
Anyway, on to other news--Bubba climbed out of his crib today, while still wearing his sleeping bag. He was so proud. I just about cried, because now we have to put him into a big boy bed. No more babies sleeping in cribs in my house. That's just not fair!
Now trying to slowly get the house back in order. Trying to get myself back in order. So ready for this season of illness to be over.
Um, my children have never had febrile convulsions. None of them. I'd be plenty worried and upset that I don't have answers yet, too!! Please keep posted. I have no idea how to advise on this but I'm hoping you get some answers soon!
ReplyDeleteAnd aww *sniff* Bubba boy. Soon he'll be asking for the car keys.
Yikes. Scary stuff. Hoping your season of illness will soon be over too & enjoy each season as it comes. A big boy bed is something to celebrate! ☺
ReplyDeletewow...that sounds pretty rough...I hope you get some answers. It is so hard when they are sick and MOMMY is TOO. No fair!! I hope you get better soon!
ReplyDelete