Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Little Kiwi School or Blessed Academy






Trying to come up with a name for our home school is not easy. I don't want to call it the Little Texas Home School or anything related to our place of origin, since the kids live in NZ now I want it to reflect our home. I like the name "The Little Kiwi School," but feel pretty certain that name is already used somewhere else since the Kiwi (fruit or the bird) is the national icon. Then I thought of "Blessed Academy" which sounds a bit like a good Catholic School, but at least the name would take us all the way through. And we are blessed. DH likes "Bush Haven Academy" because that is where we live. Hmm...any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

After months of gathering things for curriculum, I have started making my work boxes. It is so exciting. I found these red file (magazine) boxes on sale for $1.49 each and so am using them to prepare a box for each week, over 12 weeks. Then I can empty the boxes and do another set. Every week we will study a letter, some words associated with that letter, a number, a colour, some shapes, a Bible story that applies, a story that applies, do a Bible craft, do some sticker pages, and have a snack that goes with our week's work.

Here's an example:
Week Two/Letter B

Words
Baker (Big Flash Card)
Ball (Poster)
Bed (Flash Card)
Bee (Flash Card, Colouring Sheet)
Bear (Flash Card, Colouring Sheet)
Book (Flash Card, Colouring Sheet)
Banana (Colouring Sheet)

Colour
Blue (Two Colouring Sheets)

Shapes
Star, Diamond, Moon (Flash Cards)

Number
2 (2 Work Sheets)

Story
Good Night Moon (shapes), Three Bears (Word--Bear)

Bible Story
Genesis 6-9 (Old Testament Flip-Up Book)

Craft Time
Handmade Bear (Bible Craft Story)

Sticker Pages (2)

Snack
Banana, Baking

My curriculum comes from a mix of flash cards (big and small), colouring books, work books, craft books, and story books. I haven't paid over $10 for any particular piece--that was the big flash cards (3 years ago) and the craft book. Everything else has cost $1 or $2. Supplies are pretty easy because most of it we already have. And I am making photo copies of pages on our printer so I can reuse them for Bubba next year.

It's all very exciting. The hardest part for me is deciding what time of day to do it and what to do with Bubba while trying to give Cupcake quality time. I was thinking of trying to do away with her afternoon nap, but she still sleeps everyday at some point and obviously still needs it. I am hesitant to do that as well until we find what is happening with her seizures. I think she needs all the sleep she can get. So, this weekend I need to decide on a schedule.

Starting next week DH is taking the bus to work. This will give him some exercise and give me access to the car. Which means we can also plan some park time. We have been invited to try a play centre with Cupcake's best friend. I think we will. It is about a 25 minute drive away, but it would be nice to go with a friend. Then Cupcake has ballet lessons once a week. This term we were thinking of starting Bubba in Play Gym or swimming, depending on how we can fit it in and the cost. If play centre doesn't work out or if we can't work it out to get him in a weekly activity then we will try the library time on Thursdays--it's free and that is always good!

We still have our small group which meets on Tuesday nights at our house. But DH is thinking of taking a term off as far as teaching it. I still have my Beth Moore (Esther) class on Thursday nights, but only for about 5 more weeks. DH has a Thursday night meeting about 3 nights a month. Then I have my little accountability group on every other Wednesday with two friends from church. We are busy, but I think it can be done. What I am learning this week is how to use my time more effectively and how to get comfortable in a less than perfect house. It's just too hard to keep it that way and I have been way to hard on myself these last couple of years.

It doesn't hurt that this week DH and I have worked hard at finding time together every morning for Bible reading and prayer together. It means getting up a little earlier and this morning Cupcake was up too, but she coloured while we have our quiet time. I think it makes a world of difference when you make it a priority to spend time with God. Suddenly life just seems easier to deal with--even waiting on specialist appointments for kids or worrying about the next seizure.

Home school starts next week--so now's your chance to help me choose a name. Appreciate any and all feedback.




2 comments:

  1. I vote for Sweet Kiwi Primary Homeschool. Then you can make use of the cuteness of the name and change it later when the children are older. You could even make shirts that say, "I'm a Sweet Kiwi" on them for field trips. lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Litte Kiwis Homeschool

    OHhhh, so cute!

    So glad to be back. I am off my internet fast and back to visiting you guys again. I have to say I'v miss you and Mrs. C the most. Two encouraging women in my life. :) ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete