Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Sad News

Do you ever just get tired of reading about or hearing about all of the violence towards children? I sure do, especially when it involves infants. I always think of how I would love a chance for another child and some people just throw them away in brown paper bags, bury them in the backyard, drown them in the bath tub, or shake them to death. Why?

Today in the news are two disturbing stories. A 21 year old girl gives birth and with the help of a male friend, aged 21 as well, buries the body in the backyard. No one knew she was pregnant. She lived at "party central." How many families in NZ would have gratefully adopted that baby? Too many to count.

The other story is the continuing drama and second inquest into the death of two newborn twins. Their mother has since admitted to us "P" while caring for them. They both died from what appears to be shaken baby syndrome at the same time, but the family continues to close ranks and no one has ever been charged.

Adoption is almost a thing of the past in NZ. But not just here. Anti-adoption groups are active all over the world. Google it some time and read some of the hatred that is spewed towards adoptive parents. In NZ every thing under the sun is done to keep a child, no matter how abused, with a biological family member even if it is Great Aunt Mrytle who is 82 and never raised a child of her own. Because biology is so imporant in raising healthy children.

Biology did a lot of good for the Kahui twins or for the baby whose mother just buried it in the back yard.

I know people make mistakes. I know how frustrating it can be to have small children, especially having two so close in age (mine are 10 months a part). I even know a little bit about dealing with special needs between Bubba's drug withdrawal (born positive for cocaine) and Cupcake's seizures. I just don't understand how it ever comes down to things like this.

Things like this happen every day in America and you become sort of jaded to the news. They don't happen every day here--just because we are a small nation. But they should never happen--anywhere. So sad.

2 comments:

  1. Adoptive parents are just parents. Used to be they were the saviours, and now they're the people taking children away from their native culture etc. etc.

    I think they're all just parents. And I think you are an excellent parent. I hope you are able to adopt again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad indeed. You would think people would be happy that there are couples out there who are happy to open their arms and take babies in and raise them as their own. What is wrong with this world? It is SUCH a sad place... I think it's wonderful what you have done in adopting children.

    ReplyDelete