Sunday, October 24, 2010

Where does my time go?

This is such a cute picture of my babies last Sunday. Granny sent them two new outfits each, both matching. Too adorable for words really. They were a big hit at church, even if I do say so myself.

Okay--enough bragging. Sorry. We didn't get to church this morning. DH is preaching at all services, which makes a really long day for us. Usually I am up to the task, but Bubba was up late last night throwing up--so the kids and I stayed home this morning. It has been so much fun. All of my washing is done and hanging outside to dry. Then I got to spend about 1.5 hours in my room sorting clothes and putting them away while the kids watched the "Olivia" the pig movie. My kid's share names with two characters from the books by Ian Falconer. We didn't do that on purpose, it just sort of happened. But if we ever do have another boy he will be William, just because. :-)

This has been a crazy couple of weeks. Cupcake and I started homeschooling at our Sweet Kiwi Academy (thanks Mrs. C). She loves it! We have also spent a lot more time finger painting, drawing, reading and singing. I think I have figured out that Cupcake's love language is quality time and Bubba's is physical touch with words of affirmation being a close second. So I spend a lot more time now cuddling and doing fun things and trying not to worry so much about the mountains of housework that never end.

DH has started taking Bubba to Play Gym on Thursday mornings. It is their special guy time. I have to give DH a lot of credit for this. It's not easy. All of Bubba's ENTHUSIASM and ENERGY come out there. We still remain uncertain if he is heading towards ADHD, or if these are remnants of his drug exposure in the womb, or if he is simply a lively 2 year old boy. It remains to be seen. We pray for him everyday and try to rebuke any effects of what went on his tiny life before he was born. It's not always easy, but we are getting there. It's amazing how sweet words and cuddles can work with a child where discipline has failed. It seems wrong to be extra sweet to a 2 year old who is misbehaving, but it works with him. Who knew?

Anyway, DH said this week he told Bubba's teachers about his birth circumstances. I always cringe at that. I don't want people to feel sorry for him or to assume that he is damaged. But DH said he didn't want them to lose patience with Bubba, because he definitely needs more time and attention than the other kids. So, I submit to my husband's will and go along (don't laugh Susan--it is possible).

Cupcake has started her second term at ballet. She LOVES it. Every week she shows up excited and ready to dance. She is listening to her teacher and follows along--doing things I didn't think were possible a few months ago. Meanwhile her best friend and dancing partner, Lilly, has had a rough couple of weeks. She doesn't really want to participate even when Cupcake spends a lot of time trying to encourage her. I hope Lilly decides that it is fun again. I love for them to have this time together.

My Esther class has finished. What a huge blessing that class has been to me. I have learned so much. The ladies gave me a cross for my cross wall and two gorgeous hand made cards. So sweet! We shared communion together and prayed together. Just awesome. I think we might do Beth Moore's Breaking Free (new revised one) in February when the new school year starts.

Oh--I forgot the biggest accomplishments--I have gotten all of my transcripts together and written my reports so that I can send in my registration to the Christian Counselling group. I hope to be accepted as a provisional member while I finish off supervision here. My plan/hope is to work a few hours on Fridays through our church offering Christian Counselling. We will do a sliding scale system and since there is no overhead--I will be earning a little bit of money. Yay me! It seems like the right thing to and I know that DH and his senior pastor need the help. There is always more counselling than the pastors can handle.

AND--I helped DH get all of his cross credit stuff done so that he can get his Masters degree finished here. That was a HUGE job! He had done 2/3 of a Master of Divinity in the US, before we came back here. Now he is admitted to the Masters program here at his Alma mater. But the two country's university systems are so different. I had to research and explain how his US school worked, then choose classes that fitted in with his classes here, document it all, etc. It took me about two weeks to finish. We will send it in on Tuesday (Monday is a holiday here). If all goes well he will only need to do a dissertation to complete his degree, and not the big thesis. He actually has about 1000 hours more coursework than what the degree here requires, so fingers crossed. If he gets to do the dissertation that won't start until next September.

Nothing else new to report. We continue to pray for our family and for God to give us the desires of our heart--more children. We've sent away for information on adopting here, but haven't done anything with it yet. We have started seriously back to WW and are exercising every week. Praying that God will heal my body and give me William Henry and Chloe Elspeth . I even pray for money so we could adopt in Ethiopia and/or China. Who knows?! I am not really particular. But no news to report yet. Just continue to pray for us if you think of it.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gracious... could they possibly be any cuter??

    And I just wanted to let you know that my youngest son, Noah was also drug exposed prenatally. He also had a kinda rough time during his early years- super active, very high strung (I'm sure you know precisely what I mean.) I learned to give him lots of opportunities for physical activity, vigorous physical activity. By lots, I mean multiple outside playtimes with lots of running, jumping, swinging, that type of thing. It helped a lot. So did copious amounts of physical affection and affirmation.. lots of warmth. He still is a child who needs a lot of physical activity, and still is very very intense (but in a good way.) I can really see how the Lord has taken what might, in other circumstances, have been disabilities and transformed them into real character strengths. Because of his need for physical activity, he has become strong and fit. He has a tremendous capacity for work and takes joy in physical labor (well... most of the time;-}) His intensity has grown into deep caring for other people, strong sense of right and wrong, and a real heart for the things of God. Anyway... all that to say: don't be discouraged if your son seems to be "different" or even "difficult." God was in control even when his birthmother was using drugs, and He won't let that interfere with the wonderful plan He has for your son's life. (and I know you already know that, but sometimes it helps to have someone else say it.. someone who has been where you are and is a step or two further along the path, yanno?)
    Looking forward to getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bubba and Cupcake are the sweetest kiwis ever! And I'm so glad your dh is taking Bubba to that class. That is so special... I hope he takes some pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow u have been busy no wonder u haven't been blogging.
    Let me know how u go at WW are u going to meetings?
    Are u on the WW boards?

    The kids outfits are adorable and they are growing up so fast
    Enjoy them

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered where you were! The kids are adorable in those outfits--they are really growing! Beautiful and handsome they are! I want to amen what Persuaded wrote above about physical activity for the active child, and also to say that in my almost 20 years of teaching little kid music that some kids, usually (but not always) boys, are just rounders..even when they were NOT exposed to drugs in utero. MG was a bit of a rounder herself, and physical activity was always an outlet for her as well. I just wish I felt that good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean. One year I didn't tell the teachers about Chaz just to see if they noticed the difference and to make sure they didn't treat him differently. In the end, he just got in more trouble and I got called more often. They were less patient with him and they were upset with me for not telling. Haha. I just had to try it one year. From now on I tell them because they work with Chaz much better now knowing that he just needs some extra patience by them and stopped holding him to as high of a standard that other kids could be held by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to say "WHAT CUTE OUTFITS!" Love it! Such cutie pies.

    ReplyDelete