Monday, November 8, 2010

Here we go again!!!

If this t-shirt can be believed, then in a short while I will be pregnant again. Metaphorically speaking of course!

We have decided to start the process in NZ for being approved to foster and/or adopt. This decision has taken loads of prayer and thought. It's not so easy to adopt in NZ as it is in America (where our children were born and adopted), but then its really not that easy in America. Ha!

When we moved here we were fairly sure we wouldn't try to adopt again. We heard horror stories about social workers here and weren't sure we wanted to invite scrutiny into our lives and the lives of our children. NZ is not a very adoption friendly environment and trans-racial adoption can be tricky anywhere. But have continued to pray and seek God's direction in expanding our family. What we know, that we know, that we know is that if God intends for us to have more children than we don't need to worry about the process or the time or the scrutiny. Does that make sense?

We made the first inquiry in September. Today I sent off the contact details to the local case worker. I'm not sure how the process proceeds here, but it will involve a home study and I have heard that can take up to a year to complete. It is free here. We would only pay legal fees associated with adoption should the time come.

It will mean moving our kids back into the same room at some point. Foster kids aren't allowed to share a room with other children unless they are related to them. If we adopt a baby, that's not an issue. We have been thinking that we could even convert our garage into a bedroom/play room for us or our kids if we really needed extra space. I can't even imagine.

I am trying not to feel nervous or excited. I still feel as if we could change our minds at any point along the way if we didn't like the process.

What has gone on in the family over the last several weeks in terms of dealing with our kids health needs and Bubba's developmental needs, child care decisions, church reviews, etc. has really helped us see that we have the heart to do this again. We have amazing kids. We love them more than we ever imagined. We would dearly love to have more children and there are children who need homes. Why not put ourselves out there and maybe God will grow our family. We have the capacity to love adopted children just as our own and to help them grow into healthy human beings (we pray). DH can teach them how to love their birth families (as he loves his) and can share how he has coped with being adopted.

Anyway, it just seems the right thing to do. In the mean time. I am still dieting, still exercising, and should God chose to bless me with pregnancy and childbirth that would be awesome too! It ain't over yet--the fat lady ain't near ready to start singing.

Keep us in your prayers.

3 comments:

  1. I think you have done the wise thing. ☺ If you make yourselves available God can choose to bless you. Will stand with you for adoption. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right I don't feel like singing yet......so keep on ur knees and be open to WHATEVA God wants for u and if it is not yet....well then that gives u time to work with bubba xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that shirt!!!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete