Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Presents and Other News





This is the bag I made for my Mom for Christmas. Don't look too closely. I haven't made a bag in awhile and I should have made a practice one first. It really wasn't the easiest pattern--too many pockets and a weirdly shaped bottom. I prefer to make square bottom bags. Anyway, the special thing about this bag is the fabric is over 60 years old. This was a dress my Mom wore when she was 12. Then I wore this dress for play we were both in when I was 11. So it holds lots of special memories. I still have some fabric left and I think I will work on a quilt this year. That should be fun.

I also, finally, got around to shopping for my Christmas presents. Am I the only one who does that? I would much prefer that DH buy my present, but he never knows what to get and has to ask how much he can spend, etc. So it's just easier if I do it myself. We did talk about it all first. I was going to get my hair coloured, but it was going to be $140. I was out of make-up too (which costs a fortune here) so I decided that if Beth Moore can colour her own hair so can I. So I spent $40 on hair colour and did it myself. I looks nice. Some day when it's not so humid I will post a new picture--much the same, only a tad blonder. I figure it will hide the few grey hairs I am getting better. Then I bought my makeup (foundation, face wash, and moisturizer). It's a huge splurge for me, but it will last me until my birthday in May and then that is my birthday present too. That works for me. I also got two things for the kitchen that I really wanted--one is a set of measuring cups that are nesting and look like Russian dolls, the other is a set of measuring spoons that match. I am so excited about these as I have never in my life had new measuring cups or spoons. The girl at the chemist where I bought them even wrapped them for me. Wasn't that nice!

Everyone else is all done. We still haven't mailed the box to America, but it should go today. Which means they won't get it before Christmas, but it will still be nice when it gets there. Our cards haven't even been mailed yet. So much for my being prepared early this year. Next year I am making a vow that it will all be done before December 1!

Cupcake and DH played Santa on Friday and Saturday and delivered all of our little gifts for people at church. They had such a good time. It is such a great way for DH to get visit like 33 families in a short period of time. I had ordered Dayspring ornaments last year after Christmas and got them for like $1.50 each. The funny thing is our local Christian book store is selling the same ornaments this year for like $8 NZ each. I love to surprise people with presents, even small ones, that is the best part of Christmas for me.

I saw the doctor last week. Did I mention that? It was my GP's old partner who is back for one day a week. I love her! Dr. Paula--she is awesome! She used to be heavier than me and had gastric banding surgery. Even though she tries to talk me into it every time I see her, I still love her. She is such a good doctor. We talked about my back and my thyroid and my PCOS. She gave me new pain meds for my back. One is a anti-inflammatory and one is a pain medicine that works with nerves (my bulging disk is pressing on a nerve and pain shoots down my leg)--my back feels better already. She told me not to get down about it that it will likely take year to recover fully, but that it will if I keep up with my treatment and do my exercises. That was good to hear. Then she agreed I need a new thyroid test that my levels were borderline high last time. And when I told her about my lack of period (from the PCOS) and what the other doctor said last time ("Oh, why do you do you want to have a period?") she agreed that I need to have one. I told her that my doctor in the US would give me progesterone--she thought that the appropriate treatment along with Metformin. I was thrilled! The Metformin will help with my weird blood sugar and between the two I should have cycle this month. If I can get focused on diet and exercise too--I might even get some ovulation action going. Wouldn't that be a hoot at 38.5 years old?!

We sent out our Christmas newsletter this year. In it was information about our decision to look into NZ adoption. We are such trouble makers! We hadn't told DH's family, because they have lectured us for three years about how two kids is enough. We can't afford more, three is too hard to handle, etc. So, this should be fun when we arrive at their house on Saturday. I hope they will be too happy to have everyone together that they won't have time to lecture.

About that visit--we have been preparing an affirmative defense about DH's weight. Poor guy gets lectured all the time. Our family photo was great, but it wasn't the best angle for him. I think he is adorable, but we have gotten a lot of comments like "I'm really concerned about his weight..." His parents or his sister will likely have something to say next week. I told him to just start out when we get there about "I've lost 5 kg this month," which he has. That ought to cut them off at the pass. We'll see. I also said if they start in about it he should say, "I'm so glad you have brought this up, because I have some things I have been concerned about for you Mom...does your heart doctor know how much caffeine you drink? And Kerelyn, I'm really concerned about the way the other boys treat Isaac." That would be funny! DH's sister has three boys, ages 10, 8, and 7. The 8 year old, Isaac, was born small and then had glandular fever has a toddler. He has always been a bit slow at school and not very good at sports. DH's birth mother (a pediatric nurse) wrangled him an appointment with a specialist at the hospital in the old town they used to live in. He diagnosed him with a muscular disorder. It's not degenerative, which is good, but it does mean his muscles are weaker and slow to develop. He will never be good at sports and it even explains why he can't write properly. This was a big shock to them as his parents had convinced themselves he was just lazy. They've been very hard on him and have let his brothers pick on him. This child is very good at art, especially pottery, but Nana says they haven't encouraged it because they felt is was all too feminine. Fooey! I can't wait to spend time with this little guy--I'm sure he will be my favourite nephew. Anyway, my point was--if we get attacked about our weight it might be time for a family convo on everyone's little problems.

So, it's been a good week. DH is finished with night church until mid January. That is so nice. The kids never want to go to sleep on Sunday's because Dad isn't here. After the Christmas service he goes on half-days until the school term starts in February. Also awesome! We think Mimi (his birth mother) is coming to visit in January and then my Mom comes in February! I can't wait! We leave Saturday morning for down south to the big family Christmas. Then we come back on New Year's Eve. We are going to the big Scottish Highland Games on New Year's Day. That is going to be so much fun! It's the international games and they are being held here, like 40 minutes from us.

This week we have date night tomorrow night with our couple friends. Wednesday I have my last little Wednesday group with my girlfriends--we are meeting at McDonald's so the kids can play. And I hope to meet with the two ladies from church doing the "Overcomer's Ministry" so we can talk about my plans to start volunteering on Fridays with counselling services for the church. That will be good. I have my new business cards and my new mobile phone--I am all set. I just need to work on getting set-up with a Spiritual Director. It all feels so good. I think it is just the knowledge that I am doing some things for myself and that counselling is a way I can give back, but also something I am really good it.

Just so I don't sound too euphoric again I should point out that our dishwasher is broken, the weather is still horrible (hot, humid, and rainy), and my living Christmas tree is not likely to live through this week to be planted outside. Oh well. I still feel blessed and ready to celebrate Jesus' birthday!

2 comments:

  1. The bag is lovely! I like the colours you chose for it. Very feminine and I know your Mom will adore it.

    As to the weight issue - do they REALLY think DH is gonna go "NO WAY - I'm overweight??" Do they?? Do they think they're doing anyone any stinkin' favours by bringing it up all concerned-like? Because people like us get enough nasty looks in the world "out there." It hasn't quite inspired us to be razor thin, has it? Sort of feeds that emotional eating, eh?

    THEY ARE NOT HELPFUL even by MENTIONING it. Next year, photoshop the puppy so that you are all gaunt-looking. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bon! I have been coloring my own hair for about 6 months now....$6.99 as opposed to over $50! Plus I can do it when I need to, and as you can imagine the lights stand out bigtime in what is left of my almost black hair and show up almost overnight! At first my mom did it for me, but now I can manage all by myself without making too big of a mess. I don't understand why more people don't do this, it is so cheap and easy!

    Have a Merry Christmas!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete