Thursday, December 16, 2010

Insufferable

Today, Thursday, is like the 5th day of insufferable weather here in the great North of New Zealand. It's not even 7 am and already a balmy 80 (F) 27 (C) and about 98% humidity. It's not raining, so much as the sky is just sweating. There is no breeze and it is hot! No air conditioning just 2 fans in the whole house. We are sweaty and stinky.

The paper is reporting that we will have a "dry, hot, rainy" summer. I asked how it could possibly be dry and rainy...cousin Anne explained because it is likely to drizzle all summer, but that will do nothing to alleviate our drought conditions. We had one of the worst droughts ever last summer, then loads of rain this winter and spring. However, the spring rain was apparently not enough to fill-up the reserves and so we have already used what rain was accumulated. I know my picture looks pretty green, but you should see our grass it's definitely parched.

Oh well--Christmas is still coming even in the midst of this nasty weather. Our 4th and final Christmas party at our house took place last night. It was a good success. It started early, but finished early which was very nice. We were asleep by 10 pm. Now I can get down to the business of enjoying this next week with my gorgeous family before we head down to visit Andy's parents in the beautiful Bay of Plenty area. The cousins are all going to meet for the first time. Andy's sister and her family live in Ireland. We haven't seen her boys in 5 years. They are 10, 8, and 7. They have never met our kids. I know they are all going to love each other.

I have lots of sewing I need to get done today and this weekend. I hope it doesn't mess with my back and shoulder too much. I think this yucky weather has aggravated bursitis in my shoulder, which hasn't been a problem in like 4 years. Yes--I am falling a part. I have an appointment today with my old favourite doctor from our GP's office. She is back one day a week. Yay! She used to be really fat and so doesn't give me a really hard time. Anyway--I plan to talk about my back, my thyroid, and ask for a lady doctor referral for my PCOS. My back locked up Tuesday right before small group and the pain started in the front like period cramping--which I haven't had in almost a year thanks to my PCOS. But I wondering now if some of my lower back pain isn't related to my policystic ovaries. I will likely have to face the dreaded blood sugar test, but I'm about resigned to doing it anyway.

Off this afternoon to buy two more fans for the house, some more wrapping paper and tape, some Hot Wheels for Bubba, and some make-up. I'm out and it's my Christmas present. I can't wait until the kids are old enough for Dad to figure out what I want for Christmas and to shop for it. It gets old always buying your own stuff. Cupcake has spotted where the Christmas presents are living in our room and keeps coming in to ask about them. I can't wait until Christmas Eve when we get to open them. They are going to love it!!! We are doing our Christmas on Christmas Eve since we leave for down south on Christmas Day morning.

Bubba has an EXTREME fascination with Hot Wheels. Any time he sees a child with one anywhere he tries to take it. He becomes totally fixated on it--there is no distracting him. One of the little girls brought one to small group Tuesday night and her Mom was telling him off for trying to take it. I explained to the mother his fixation and that it might be easier if her daughter put the car away. She was like, "Oh, I hope you don't mind me scolding him..." I said, "No, but he has a thing with cars and there isn't a lot I can do to re-focus him. It might just be easier if you put it someplace safe." She wasn't very happy with that, but it was either that or just put him to bed. He did end up going to be after dinner anyway. He was so tired and hot and miserable, probably still upset about the car, wouldn't eat and kept throwing a fit. So I told him he could stay up if he quit crying and settled down. Nope, he threw a bigger fit and so went to bed. Anyway, DH and I wondered if he had lots of Hot Wheels would that help him feel more satisfied when other kids have some too. He has a few, but not many. I'm not sure if that will help, but I am willing to try.

Last night the church secretary brought her kids who are 7 (twins) and 9. They love our kids and played with them all night long. It was awesome! I didn't have to worry at all. I told DH we need to adopt some older kids. I'm not sure he's convinced. Just kidding, of course, but it would be nice to have built in play mates.

Okay, it's too hot and gross to sit here typing any more. I think a cold shower is the best way to start the day.

4 comments:

  1. We are freezing here........

    Do they make a big deal out of Santa in NZ?

    Jack is HORRIFIED of the old guy and of course keeps bumping into some reminder of him everywhere we go.....!'

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Santa's not a real big deal here. The only place we really see him is in Christmas movies or kid's shows. They have never seen one live--I'm not sure how'd they act. That's so sad about Jack!

    I could do with a little freezing. It's 2:30 am and I'm awake because it is 85F and no breeze!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm, yes I DO mind your telling my kid off. It's my kid, not yours. Back off, lady. And that was rude of you to bring over a toy that you didn't intend to share.

    Ha... can you tell I'd make a crappy pastor's wife? But seriously, does this chick not get that Bubba has some things going on? I mean, I'm clued into it and oftentimes you are wording things diplomatically. Probably in real life, someone should be able to pick up on there being some issues within 20 minutes or so. Often people pick up on something being "up" with my children - not right away - but after a little interaction time.

    In my very sporadic dealings with autism (ha) I can tell you that providing the Hot Wheels cars will make the obsession WORSE... BUT... you can bring a few in your purse that are very special for outings and alleviate at least some of this drama here. Use it to your advantage.

    May God bless you richly! I am sarcastic and mean, but I do hope this mom grows a bit and "gets" it soon so that you can all live in peace. Maybe she just means well and I get mad knowing how hard it can be when your children are different and are violating the "rules" that seem set up against them only. But situations like this get me mad, mad, mad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, Happy Elf Mom, it did make me a bit cross. I wish she had just said, "Bonnie, we're having a problem with the car over here." I think he would have listened to me more. We've seen three doctor's now who all say he is in the "normal range" of behaviour for 2 year olds and just this week he has added like 5 phrases to his vocabulary, but it is still obvious that if nothing else he is very high strung and often hard to deal with. He's not mean, but is harder to refocus than the average toddler, so when he wants something--he WANTS it! I think having a few Hot Wheels in my purse is the answer too. DH bought him 15 news ones last night (they were way on sale) and a carrying case. He wants to leave them in his room for him to play with at night, because some nights it takes Bubba 2 hours to settle down to sleep. But I'm not so sure about that. We'll see. If it would keep him from kicking the walls that would be fine with me. Anyway, it does upset me that instead of asking what they could do to help or even just being sympathetic I get a lot of strange looks from people when we are in group settings. I feel like we need a permanent label that says "He's 2 and he was a drug baby. Cut him some slack." Or at the very least "Take a picture it will last longer!" I am such a Mamma bear--I am definitely going to have to work on my reaction when other people do mean things to my kids. Thank you for being a safe friend with which I can share this stuff.

    ReplyDelete