Thursday, January 6, 2011

It's Harder Than It Looks

Six days into the no buy year and I am already having to remind myself just what that means. Cupcake loves to ride the tricycle at Poppa's house. She has one here, but it is a bit smaller and is made to be pushed by an adult via a long handle. You can take the handle off and unlock the steering so that a toddler can ride on their own, but her handle is stuck. She also keeps fastening the straps and then can't get off when she is finished. UGH! I wish we could sell the two baby trikes and buy two bigger used trikes. But that would violate the no buy year. What we need to do is figure out how to unlock the steering on their trikes and just take off the seat belt straps. It's hard, because it is so easy to rationalize selling something to buy something else. But that isn't the point of the no buy year. I think the point is to learn to use what you have, re-use if necessary, to live simply, and to save money. Hmmm...

So far the changes to our diet are working nicely. All we have done so far is eat more fruits and veg, mostly foods low on the glycemic index, and try to get some exercise every day. I have lost 1.5 kg so far. DH has lost more. Following a low glycemic eating plan is so easy. You can really eat as much as you want--it just needs to be like 90% from the green list which is most everything I like except sweets and things like white potatoes and white flour. It's wonderful for diabetics. An unexpected treat is Nutella is on the low GI list and so are canned baked beans in tomato sauce. I have yet to feel deprived or hungry. Still--trying not to think too far ahead and to take it all one day at a time. I don't want to get so excited or think about the future so much that I lose it.

My medicine from the Doctor has worked and am now blissfully (sort of) experiencing life as regular woman. Just so happy to find out I am not menopausal yet that I don't even mind the cramps and the bloating. That's what only having 1 cycle a year will do for you--make you happy when it comes back. ;-) Sorry if that is TMI. I was just a bit worried before that it wouldn't work this time. Call me crazy, but I do still hold out a hope or a dream that someday my body will decide to work properly and fall pregnant. Probably about the time we adopt a sibling group of 3. Ha!

Still no word from the hospital chaplaincy inquiry. I have requested a packet twice and sent my CV. One of my references is the locum chaplain at the hospital. That couldn't hurt. I'm never above name dropping--if I know one to drop.

Okay--off for a rest while the kids are napping. Well, Bubba is napping and Cupcake is singing in her room. Need some time with my feet up in front of the fan (HOT and sticky day today).

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Happy Elf Mom, that is Texas in our kitchen. Ha! When we lived in Texas we had a NZ kitchen. So it only seemed fair that when we came to NZ we have a TX kitchen/dining room. ;-)

    I will have to think about the bartering thing. Who can I trade for what? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swapsies is not the same as buying....Try swapping the trikes you don't want for ones you do. Or is that sorta cheating? Just an idea.

    I think we have contrary minds. I never miss food except on my fast day. lol Then I get grouchy 'cause I can't eat. I am sooo going to enjoy the *without sin* bit when I get to heaven!

    ReplyDelete