So, it's that time of year again. I fully intended to spend last week thinking about my New Year's resolutions so that they were well thought out and achievable. That didn't happen. But over the last few days they have sort of developed on their own. Here they are:
1. We are having a No Buy Year. Inspired by Diane at Tomato Soup Cake we are not buying anything this year. No new clothes, shoes, DVDs, appliances, toys, books, etc. If it breaks we aren't replacing it. We don't spend a lot of money on new things, but we figure we can save at least $1000 this year by not buying. It's a challenge, but one that I happily look forward to (ask me how I feel in March).
2. We are really concentrating on health and fitness this year. Our goal is to lose 1 kg a week. Believe me we could both stand to do it. If I am successful, I will weigh what I did when I was 19. Honestly, I would be happy with .5 kg loss a week, but I am willing to try for 1 kg. DH is really motivated. He wants to be a healthy and active Daddy. Me too--healthy and active Mommy.
3. We have pledged to read our daily devotion (One Year Bible) together everyday. I am sure there will be days when it happens at bed time, instead of first thing in the morning. But I feel certain this will be something we do everyday!
That's it. Only three. There are lots more things I could add. But I won't make them resolutions. They are just levels of peace, maturity, or balance I would like to achieve. The babies will start child care on the 17th. I have such mixed feelings about it. I don't want to give them up, even for 12 hours a week. But it is subsidized until they are 5. So, if I can work 12-16 hours a week then we have a real chance to be debt free in 2 years and able to buy a house. That would be awesome! In order to work I have to run our home in a more organized manner. I have to take better care of myself and be sure that all of my time with my family is productive. Even if we just have planned cuddling--I count that as productive.
This will be a big month for us. I have my first counselling client, our second meeting is next week. I continue my supervision. DH starts his research for his thesis. The kids start child care. I decide on what studies to offer next term and prepare for that. I am applying for a part time hospital chaplaincy position at our local hospital (16 hours a week). We are working on your year's plan for 2011--including things like a vegetable garden. Getting ready for visitors (Mimi this month and my Mom next month). And trying to do all of it with peace, maturity, and balance. Yay! Seriously considering how much time I can afford to give away to others, because what I want to achieve most of all this year is a happy and healthy family!
New Year Photos...
1. We are having a No Buy Year. Inspired by Diane at Tomato Soup Cake we are not buying anything this year. No new clothes, shoes, DVDs, appliances, toys, books, etc. If it breaks we aren't replacing it. We don't spend a lot of money on new things, but we figure we can save at least $1000 this year by not buying. It's a challenge, but one that I happily look forward to (ask me how I feel in March).
2. We are really concentrating on health and fitness this year. Our goal is to lose 1 kg a week. Believe me we could both stand to do it. If I am successful, I will weigh what I did when I was 19. Honestly, I would be happy with .5 kg loss a week, but I am willing to try for 1 kg. DH is really motivated. He wants to be a healthy and active Daddy. Me too--healthy and active Mommy.
3. We have pledged to read our daily devotion (One Year Bible) together everyday. I am sure there will be days when it happens at bed time, instead of first thing in the morning. But I feel certain this will be something we do everyday!
That's it. Only three. There are lots more things I could add. But I won't make them resolutions. They are just levels of peace, maturity, or balance I would like to achieve. The babies will start child care on the 17th. I have such mixed feelings about it. I don't want to give them up, even for 12 hours a week. But it is subsidized until they are 5. So, if I can work 12-16 hours a week then we have a real chance to be debt free in 2 years and able to buy a house. That would be awesome! In order to work I have to run our home in a more organized manner. I have to take better care of myself and be sure that all of my time with my family is productive. Even if we just have planned cuddling--I count that as productive.
This will be a big month for us. I have my first counselling client, our second meeting is next week. I continue my supervision. DH starts his research for his thesis. The kids start child care. I decide on what studies to offer next term and prepare for that. I am applying for a part time hospital chaplaincy position at our local hospital (16 hours a week). We are working on your year's plan for 2011--including things like a vegetable garden. Getting ready for visitors (Mimi this month and my Mom next month). And trying to do all of it with peace, maturity, and balance. Yay! Seriously considering how much time I can afford to give away to others, because what I want to achieve most of all this year is a happy and healthy family!
New Year Photos...
I'm sure there may have to be exceptions (a certain folder or whathaveyou for work, etc.) but overall what an awesome commitment! Not to add to your workload, but I'd LOVE to see a monthly set of pics on things you are using to make do or re-use in new ways. Give us some ideas! :)
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year to you as well!
Happy New Year to you too! ☺
ReplyDeleteLove the pics & like I was with Diane, I shall be very interested to see how you do with your no buy year.
I don't do resolutions. Long experience has taught me I never keep those sort of commitments. lol
They are just soooo cute! I like your New Years Resolutions. I even like the spending one. It's funny because I'm the one that likes to save and my hubby is the spender. So it would be awesome if he made that commitment. Tee hee.... But he's a great daddy and husband and that's just awesome. So glad you are guys are doing good! Love ya!
ReplyDeleteVirginia
Checking back... is that TEXAS in your kitchen??
ReplyDeleteYou might start to consider NOW what skills or crafts you want to barter with buddies to get a few small things you might want later this year. When March comes around for reallio, you'll be prepared. Hugs and happy SUMMER!! :)