
We had our GP visit today. Bubba was in rare form. He was sweet as usual, even climbing up in the doctor's lap for a cuddle. But he was all over the place!! The Kiwis call it full on. That's my boy. She was so nice. We talked for a long time. She asked great questions and listened to me--even better. She thanked me twice for my research stuff. I took in a list of his words, phrases, milestones reached, and not reached. Then I included a copy of the M-Chat we did online. She said straight away that she can see fetal alcohol markers, including his facial features. He is being referred to a pediatrician, an audiologist, and a child psychologist. Normally they don't test until age 3 here, but she agreed that he should get tested sooner rather than later.
I asked DH which was worse--autism, fetal alcohol syndrome, or some combination of both. He seemed to think maybe fetal alcohol syndrome is better because it doesn't carry the instant stigma that autism does. Who knows?! I asked him how we would ever explain to Bubba about his problems if they are related to bad choices his birth mother made while she was carrying him? He said that first we need to make sure that Ian always knows how special he is and how much he is loved. Then he said, someday this will be part of his testimony. That was amazing!! I love that I am married to this man. I need to remember this next time I get frustrated about his lack of initiative around the house. ;-)
The doctor gave Cupcake some super dooper pooper medicine today to clear her impaction. And is referring her to the pediatrician. She has an appointment next week about her seizures, but Dr. Paula said to mention this as well. She agreed that Hirschsprung could be the cause and she should be tested for it. I'd hate for her to have to have surgery, but it sure would be nice to have this fixed. That poor child doesn't even respond to lactulose lately. Over the last 12 days she has only pooped twice. Both have followed days of lactulose, suppositories, and prayer. They have both been hard bloody piles of rocks. That's why the impaction medicine. Hopefully we can get that cleared in the next few days.
I'm tired. I'm still worried. But it feels better to be doing something now. At least I feel like we are moving and not wondering. Praying constantly and trusting that God has this in control. At least I know, with God, we are never alone.
Ha ha! Well, some of the blogs I've visited that were pretty doggone hateful listed autism as the "disease du jour." So, you'd be fashionable if you had a little autism in your family. Just make sure to feed that little tot some GFC stuff and cure him by the time he's five. Autistic children are cute but adults? Not so much.
ReplyDeleteArg. Well, it will be what it will be. Whatever it is I know that you will find a way to be a strong family. Praying for you; it will likely be some time before your appointment.
And poor Cupcake. I just don't get that. Suppositories are supposed to be for granny types, not little tots! I hope they figure it out SOON!! :(
Hi bonnie,
ReplyDeleteI read your blog often but was moved to comment today - your picture of Ian reminded me so much of my son at that age. He seemed to spend hours playing with he toy cars, complete with sound effects. My son (Patrick) turns 18 in a couple of months - where have those years gone?? I'm glad your getting some help for your beautiful kids. Amanda