Sunday, February 13, 2011

Prayers Needed

I really don't feel like posting, but I felt like I should. It's been a while. I haven't even been reading blogs as much as I would like. We need a few prayers this week.

First off, Olivia, otherwise known as Cupcake, is 3.5 and struggles everyday with constipation. She's had it literally since birth. She didn't pass her meconium until the Pedi forced it at day 2. They kept us then an extra day in the hospital. Her next poo was again stimulated by me and from then on she has either had diarhea or been totally blocked. No doctor has ever suggested she be tested for underlying causes, but now that it seems to be getting worse (she knows it hurts to poop so holds on to it), I feel like we should have her checked out specifically for this. Hirschsprung's disease has been mentioned by a family friend who is a doctor and now I am trying not to freak out! Hoping she is just stubborn and doesn't drink enough. But we are going to the doctor this week.

Second, Ian, otherwise known as Bubba, is 2.5 and is still struggling with speech delays and odd behaviour. Emotionally he is better than he was a few months ago--not as many tantrums and not nearly as impulsive. We felt like he was really improving. But we have remained concerned about his speech delays (he has less than 50 words and only about 9 two to three word phrases) and the fact that sometimes he seems deaf (he often won't respond to his name and has strange pronunciation of words). Then the other day he did a really odd thing with baby hangars--hanging them one each on every knob of his dresser. He has always liked to stack blocks and line up cars, but this seemed to be a red flag for me. I emailed a friend in the US and she encouraged me to research on my own. I did and so wished I hadn't. The more videos we watched and the more I talked to people about it--the more it seems as if Ian may really be autistic. So, we have finally made an appointment with our GP (where you start in NZ) to talk specifically about these issues. I want him tested. I want to be doing something more to help him now and not 3 years from now.

Other than that busy up to my eyeballs in daily crap that doesn't seem very important at the moment. Wish I had a box of fruit loops to eat, but in the end it would probably only make me feel worse. Praying and hoping for miracles and answers this week.

3 comments:

  1. doesn't help in one way but I always feel so much better when I can name something. Better that, & knowing the worst, than worrying vaguely. Once you know you can deal with it, whatever it is. Prayers. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't it stink when we can't fix things for our children? I am just out with them on their autism. Whatever your kids' conditions turn out to be, they will need to learn to manage them on their own someday. (I know, your kids are under 4 and I'm telling you this lol.) Just like you talk with them on their adoption but that isn't all you discuss all day, yk? I am hoping that you find honest and WISE physicians and that you are at peace with whatever the truth is. Sending hugs and prayers across the ocean to you and your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your sweet comments and prayers. They mean so much to me! I feel better. We just need to know or at least need to know something to do in the mean time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete