
I googled the word "better" for images and this was one that came up. Too funny! I just had to laugh! If you added two kids with snorkels and a dog in the water that could be me on the island. Ha! Sometimes I feel like it would be really nice to have my own private island if only for a day. I don't think I could stand much more--I would miss everyone.
Ian has pretty much been crying, screaming, throwing a tantrum, knocking kids down, or just generally being upset since Thursday morning. It's Sunday. Our morning started with the kids up at 5:30 am thanks to NZ doing daylight savings today. DH and I had a fight--well, I had a fight--DH sat there and said nothing, which probably didn't help things. Ian spent about 20 minutes on the naughty chair for refusing to say "I'm sorry" after throwing a huge tantrum. He can say, "I'm sorry" by-the-way. It's not like we were asking for something he can't do.
We finally got it all together and tried to go to church. Where he screamed all the way in. Screamed the whole time I set-up the nursery. Screamed all the way to Dad where I got the keys to the car so we could leave. Told DH to get a ride home we were leaving. Amazingly he stopped screaming in the car.
He's been better since we've been home. We played outside. We blew bubbles. We had a snack. Now they are watching a movie. I'm trying to keep them up for regular nap time and not daylight savings nap time. Oh my goodness it has been a very hard 3-4 days. If I had the money I think I would have gone to Texas for a week this morning and left DH with the kids--they could sort each other out.
I did find an interesting article on how to deal with a toddler who cries all the time. I think I may try some of the suggestions like tape recording the crying and playing them back for him, or making a crying spot in the house and then asking him when he isn't crying if he would like to go sit and cry. It's called paradoxical therapy. The idea being that normal responses don't work for a toddler who has gotten into a crying routine at home. They sometimes need strange answers to shock them into another behaviour. Read it and let me know what you think.
Our sitter texted this morning and her little girl now has a tummy bug and so she will be closed on Monday. I'm sure that will be our fault, even though we didn't have a tummy bug last week. That's okay with me though. I wanted to keep them home anyway. I think Bubba needs some more Mommy time and I think Cupcake needs a day at home to get focused on potty training again. She can and does use the potty for wees and poos, but not consistently.
We decided not to add the extra dog to the household. I think that was a good decision. I made DH contribute to the decision. I just couldn't stand to make one more major decision on my own. That was nice.
I did manage to squeeze 10 minutes alone out this morning to do a short devotion. That was nice. Still feeling a bit alienated from God at the moment. Not sure what that is about.
Ian has pretty much been crying, screaming, throwing a tantrum, knocking kids down, or just generally being upset since Thursday morning. It's Sunday. Our morning started with the kids up at 5:30 am thanks to NZ doing daylight savings today. DH and I had a fight--well, I had a fight--DH sat there and said nothing, which probably didn't help things. Ian spent about 20 minutes on the naughty chair for refusing to say "I'm sorry" after throwing a huge tantrum. He can say, "I'm sorry" by-the-way. It's not like we were asking for something he can't do.
We finally got it all together and tried to go to church. Where he screamed all the way in. Screamed the whole time I set-up the nursery. Screamed all the way to Dad where I got the keys to the car so we could leave. Told DH to get a ride home we were leaving. Amazingly he stopped screaming in the car.
He's been better since we've been home. We played outside. We blew bubbles. We had a snack. Now they are watching a movie. I'm trying to keep them up for regular nap time and not daylight savings nap time. Oh my goodness it has been a very hard 3-4 days. If I had the money I think I would have gone to Texas for a week this morning and left DH with the kids--they could sort each other out.
I did find an interesting article on how to deal with a toddler who cries all the time. I think I may try some of the suggestions like tape recording the crying and playing them back for him, or making a crying spot in the house and then asking him when he isn't crying if he would like to go sit and cry. It's called paradoxical therapy. The idea being that normal responses don't work for a toddler who has gotten into a crying routine at home. They sometimes need strange answers to shock them into another behaviour. Read it and let me know what you think.
Our sitter texted this morning and her little girl now has a tummy bug and so she will be closed on Monday. I'm sure that will be our fault, even though we didn't have a tummy bug last week. That's okay with me though. I wanted to keep them home anyway. I think Bubba needs some more Mommy time and I think Cupcake needs a day at home to get focused on potty training again. She can and does use the potty for wees and poos, but not consistently.
We decided not to add the extra dog to the household. I think that was a good decision. I made DH contribute to the decision. I just couldn't stand to make one more major decision on my own. That was nice.
I did manage to squeeze 10 minutes alone out this morning to do a short devotion. That was nice. Still feeling a bit alienated from God at the moment. Not sure what that is about.
I think you will have ups and downs when you adopt but overall you have thought it out for years and are ready. The sitter sounds like she is very clean, which is a big blessing. Maybe a little chat with dh about how we say the kid is fine even if he seems near death is in order. We do NOT want to freak this lady out if she's awesome in other respects. :)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Training-Individuals-Autism-Developmental/dp/1932565493
ReplyDeleteThere you go. We have begun reading it.
I have been struggling to get in my devotion time too. I don't know what because I know how incredibly important that is. I've always believed we do so much better on His strength rather than on our own. I seem to forget that often and when I do, boy do I feel it.
ReplyDelete