Okay--so last week we were supposed to head down to visit DH's parents on Friday. We were going to be gone over the weekend and not return until Tuesday night. Then I became violently ill on Thursday afternoon. I really thought I was having a heart attack (another story) turns out it was food poisoning and we cancelled our trip.
We had told the sitter on Thursday afternoon not to expect the kids on Monday or Tuesday. Friday morning I texted her and explained our cancelled trip. She said she had already made plans, but would gladly cancel them. I then told her to let me know if she wanted to keep her plans--we would understand. No--she was going to keep the kids this week as usual.
Then yesterday (Sunday) we got a text to say her daughter was VERY sick and she couldn't keep the kids today and maybe not tomorrow either. DH had planned to have the day off so he stayed home with us. We went to the park and had a big nature walk--it was so much fun!
Guess who we saw at the park? Yup. The baby sitter and her daughter--meeting another Mom and kid--having a little picnic in the park. She didn't see us.
I was LIVID!!! DH couldn't understand why I was so upset. I tried to explain--because I gave her an out. She could have just said that she wanted to keep her plans. She didn't need to lie to me. And the fact that she had lied to me really upset me. This is the woman I leave in charge of our children. Friend of the family or no--she lied to me. That damages the trust I have in her and it makes me question whether or not I want to keep using her for child care.
I texted her and said "Hey we saw you girls at the park, glad to see that (child's name) is feeling better. We would have stopped to say hi, but Ian was upset." She said her daughter was stir crazy and they just went out for a walk. Yea and a picnic--I thought to myself. Now she says her daughter is still a bit sick, but not feverish so if I want to send the kids to her tomorrow I can. Meaning--it's on me.
Really--still a bit angry over the whole thing. I can't stir up too much trouble with her because her parents are big members in our church. But I really have new reservations now about her keeping the kids. Am I wrong? Would it upset you?
We had told the sitter on Thursday afternoon not to expect the kids on Monday or Tuesday. Friday morning I texted her and explained our cancelled trip. She said she had already made plans, but would gladly cancel them. I then told her to let me know if she wanted to keep her plans--we would understand. No--she was going to keep the kids this week as usual.
Then yesterday (Sunday) we got a text to say her daughter was VERY sick and she couldn't keep the kids today and maybe not tomorrow either. DH had planned to have the day off so he stayed home with us. We went to the park and had a big nature walk--it was so much fun!
Guess who we saw at the park? Yup. The baby sitter and her daughter--meeting another Mom and kid--having a little picnic in the park. She didn't see us.
I was LIVID!!! DH couldn't understand why I was so upset. I tried to explain--because I gave her an out. She could have just said that she wanted to keep her plans. She didn't need to lie to me. And the fact that she had lied to me really upset me. This is the woman I leave in charge of our children. Friend of the family or no--she lied to me. That damages the trust I have in her and it makes me question whether or not I want to keep using her for child care.
I texted her and said "Hey we saw you girls at the park, glad to see that (child's name) is feeling better. We would have stopped to say hi, but Ian was upset." She said her daughter was stir crazy and they just went out for a walk. Yea and a picnic--I thought to myself. Now she says her daughter is still a bit sick, but not feverish so if I want to send the kids to her tomorrow I can. Meaning--it's on me.
Really--still a bit angry over the whole thing. I can't stir up too much trouble with her because her parents are big members in our church. But I really have new reservations now about her keeping the kids. Am I wrong? Would it upset you?
Bonnie: without knowing the lady I couldn't say for sure. Some people have assertiveness issues & can find it really hard to just be upfront about stuff. How well do you know her? I would be upset if I thought it was just selfishness or downright dishonesty because those people are rarely backward about coming forward but the shy sweet sorts can sometimes have great difficulty. Does she take good care of your kids? Is she generally reliable? Do your kids like her? If yes maybe it's not worth fussing over?
ReplyDeleteIf this happened at the last minute I'd be upset as well. BUT if it didn't I'd just keep an eye out. If she's taking good care of the kids, you might have to think about putting up with some of the shennanigans for their sake because it sounds like good folks are hard to find.
ReplyDeleteI would be upset too. Then I got to thinking. The doctor told me that when my kids are sick it's actually good to take them out of the house. So many germs are living inside the home. So even when we've kept a kid home from school, we've been known to take them to the park to give them the fresh air.
ReplyDeleteIF her daughter really was sick then yes it can be bad for your kids to come over. Taking her daughter to meet at a park is actually safer (germ wise) and the other party is less likely to get sick.
Bonnie, you okay? You sick? Sad? Overwhelmed? I love your blogs and wonder if you're okay when you don't post.
ReplyDeleteHugs from Virginia