Thursday, June 30, 2011

Good News and More Good News

Yesterday, after nearly 8 months of processing, I finally received word that I am now a full member of the New Zealand Christian Counselling Association. Woo-hoo! This means I can now take referrals from local GP's and the government assistance agency. It is very good news! I am meeting this week with a friend who has offered me an office in her newly established Counselling trust through her church. So, I may be able to work from there or I might still be working from our church.

Also, yesterday...Bubba finally had his first appointment with the Pediatrician. She was awesome! It was at 1 pm, which is a bad time for him (nap time), but he did pretty good. She was so complimenting of the information I had gathered and submitted to our doctor. She spent a good long time (maybe 40 minutes) talking to me, examining and interacting with Bubba. What did she say? I'll tell you.

She said that he had some soft symptoms of autism, but that she would not in any way place him in that category. She could definitely see that his attention span is about 60 seconds long and that his speech is somewhat delayed. He also lacks some milestone skills like being able to put on clothes and name body parts, etc. She was encouraged by the talking and interacting that he did do. So, what does this mean? He is being referred for speech therapy and a specialist developmental consult. She said that the developmental consult is more about getting a base line so that they can monitor him over the years. This has to do with his drug exposure. She did say it is possible that he could be ADDHD but that it was too early to diagnose that now.

All-in-all, we thought that was very good news. He is going to get speech therapy. He is going to be evaluated for his development and monitored. She will see us again in 6-8 months.

So--it has been a good week. If I didn't have another raging sinus infection and chest cold, I would say it's been a perfect week.

Oh--WAIT--I forgot. We are doing Potty Training Boot Camp this week and it is working! Cupcake has 6 stickers on her chart and Bubba has 4! They have both done wees on the potty, Cupcakes has done poos too. Bubba is holding on to his poos for when he has a nappy on. But the doctor said that meant he had good control. Yesterday, we didn't have any wet underwear. Isn't that great! I may very soon be able to quit our $125 a month diaper habit, or at least seriously reduce it. Until we get another baby anyway. Yay!!!

1 comment:

  1. OHhhh, when the kids get potty trained it's soooo wonderful! I love the freedom of it. I remember when Chaz and Ryan learned on the same day. I felt like jumping through the roof. I had 3 kids in diapers and it was costing so much.

    ReplyDelete