Monday, November 21, 2011

The Family Nobody Wanted

I am reading a great book from "Auntie Jan" (really married to Andy's cousin who is his father's age). It's called The Family Nobody Wanted by Helen Doss. Truly an amazing story about a pastor and his wife who adopted 12 mixed race orphans in the 1940's and 50's. Their only real obstacle came to adopting a mixed race child who was part black. That was so sad. It made me truly grateful that our world has changed so much in the last 60 years or my children might not be my children.

We have had just an amazing weekend with our foster kids who are both Maori and European. The kids have really settled in and are starting to feel at home. The popped into our room about 6:30 am this morning and hopped up onto the bed--both of them. It was so sweet. I can't bear to think about them leaving today.

Part of me is so exhausted and a bit worried about little Ian with all of his special needs that I think it would be okay for our family to return back to normal for a while. But the other part of me is already getting attached to these two little people who are obviously so desperate for a real family life. The boy today said, "she called you Momma," about his sister. I said, "I know, but I think she just calls all grown-up ladies that." He said, "No--she likes you. She didn't even want to see our Mum on Saturday, she cried the whole time."

Trying to pray about it and leave it with God and the social workers. It might be harder for the kids if they stay with us for three months. Maybe it's better that they move to the next carer's home (which is a single woman in a neighbouring town). I can't think about it too much. I have 4 more clients to see today and I am stuck at work.

Last night I was dreaming about how much fun it would to take the boy shopping for some new school clothes, a lunch box, and a back pack. I was thinking of all the fun we could have building leggos and playing battle ship or teaching him to ride a bike. Wondering if this makes me a better foster parent or too sentimental to be a foster parent? I don't know, but praying the best for little boy "A" aged 8 years old and his little sister "A" aged 17 months.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I hardly know how to pray for you-all so I will do just as you are and tell God I will leave it with Him and the social workers. Love to you as always and HUGS and peace in whatever happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bonnie, I know those kids are blessed just to have been with you for a few days, just think of all the "seeds" you may have planted in their little hearts. Praying for them and you also!

    AND....when I was in Jr. High I checked out THE FAMILY THAT NOBODY wanted out of the library so many times that the librarian thought I was nuts. Then when the internet happened one of the first things I did was to find a copy either on amazon or alibris and order it and read it yet again. It is an amazing story. Another one you need to get is KISSES FROM KATIE by Katie Davis. Check out this blog: kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com You will not be sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to be a foster parent but I'm so scared I'll get really attached and then my heart will break so badly. I've taken care of two babies and it hurt really bad to say goodbye to them :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello My name is Jessi. I saw your comment on meet virginia's blog that you had foster kids. My husband and I have looked into fostering, and adopting through foster care, but don't know anyone who has done it. Did you adopt both your kids through foster care? If you had time would I be able to ask you some questions? My email is jessi0224@gmial.com.

    ReplyDelete