From Thursday to Monday (possibly longer) I am temporarily a mother of four. Today is Saturday. Everyone is happily settled into bed for their third night here. Pretty good too--Thursday night it was 11 pm before they went to sleep, last night it was 10 pm, and tonight it was 8:50 pm. Woo-hoo.
Their social worker came to visit today. She's been dealing with the boy for quite some time and visiting him at school. She visited with their Mum yesterday and had a good visit. Apparently, she was a lot more cooperative and responsive than they expected. So, the social worker scheduled a visit with the kids and their Mum today. That was a bit hard. We got the kids all ready to go. DH had a good talk with our foster son last night about what would happen and he understood. They went, but neither wanted to go. They didn't want to leave here. The baby cried the whole time. It just breaks my heart for them and their Mum.
So, the boy can go back to school on Monday. We don't know yet what will happen about moving them. At first they thought they might go home on Monday, but now they feel that their Mum has more work to do. We are waiting to find out where they will go or if they will stay here. Keeping them would be hectic and maybe harder on them in the long run, but I couldn't bear to disappoint them if they have to stay somewhere. Oh, and I forgot to mention that baby is calling us Momma and Dadda--guessing these are her generic words for parental units.
What I have learned these last couple of days?
Their social worker came to visit today. She's been dealing with the boy for quite some time and visiting him at school. She visited with their Mum yesterday and had a good visit. Apparently, she was a lot more cooperative and responsive than they expected. So, the social worker scheduled a visit with the kids and their Mum today. That was a bit hard. We got the kids all ready to go. DH had a good talk with our foster son last night about what would happen and he understood. They went, but neither wanted to go. They didn't want to leave here. The baby cried the whole time. It just breaks my heart for them and their Mum.
So, the boy can go back to school on Monday. We don't know yet what will happen about moving them. At first they thought they might go home on Monday, but now they feel that their Mum has more work to do. We are waiting to find out where they will go or if they will stay here. Keeping them would be hectic and maybe harder on them in the long run, but I couldn't bear to disappoint them if they have to stay somewhere. Oh, and I forgot to mention that baby is calling us Momma and Dadda--guessing these are her generic words for parental units.
What I have learned these last couple of days?
- Four is definitely harder than 2.
- Getting a child as a baby (the tinier the better) is definitely a lot easier.
- The laundry is non-stop and the dishwasher is always running.
- Creating a family atmosphere is hard work and spending time with each child is crucial.
- We are very rich and have way more than we need, and miles more than many others.
"A," the boy, has been amazed by the food we've had. Not what it was, but how much of it there was. Not knowing how much an 8 year old boy eats we keep telling him to just eat what he wants. This morning he tried corn chex for the first time and poured his milk on them. He could only eat about half. He said, "ought oh, I can't eat it all." I told him not to worry that was okay. He said. "whose going to eat it?" I said no one--we'd just throw it out. He said "even the milk?" Milk is pretty expensive here and I have a feeling they don't waste much at his house.
We should be more careful with how much food we prepare and what we throw out. But I have never until now experienced a child who was so amazed by having meals together and there always being something to eat. I made chocolate chip cookies today and he had never seen that done before--he had never eaten a cookie that wasn't bought at the store.
So, this weekend, I haven't once thought to complain about money being tight, bills getting paid, or even being tired because of the extra work. I have just thought of how I wish we could make their lives better and make the lives better of all little kids who struggle. That may be my new prayer.
The kid is 8 and never had a home-baked cookie? Wow. Though I have never baked cookies for Woodjie as all the mixes have butter, milk or egg in them. He can have Oreos, about it. But still, this kid doesn't sound like he has allergies... what is up with that.
ReplyDeleteI could get the Mum getting upset about wasting milk. It's under $4 a gallon here and still I don't like seeing that. Hope you are all hanging in there well.