Good to be home--mostly. My trip to America was short and sweet. I left here on Monday the 21st and got there on Monday the 21st around 10 pm. Denver International is a HUGE airport. It was so nice to see Mom again even though it had been less than 2 months since she left NZ. Forgot how luxurious my brother's house is. The only time I was there was 9 years ago with my ex, just as our marriage was collapsing. So I wasn't really paying attention to the surroundings.
We spent half of each day visiting with Martin at the hospital. He was back there on the Monday I arrived. It's about 35 miles from his house, so quite a haul. The only thing close by is a super grand mall, so you can guess where we spent the other half of our time. :-) He insisted on giving me $200 to spend on the kids--we happened to find the OshKosh store at 70% off clearance and double coupon Tuesday, which meant I got $40 more to spend. Woo-hoo! OshKosh is a brand that Kiwis recognize. I will be able to sell everything I bought on Trademe when the kids have out grown it.
Martin was calm and relaxed the whole time I was there. I got sick on Wednesday afternoon and puked all over his room. Food poisoning, I think. So our trip there was extended, which was great for Martin and his family. He finally opened up and had a great talk with Mom, he even cried. First time in 6 years since this illness started. He and his wife still fight, but I think they are beginning to understand each other a bit. Which is what counts! Mom said that Martin was nicer and more open while I was there than he has been--maybe ever. I think he just tries extra hard to be nice around me. And it helps that I am happy to just sit and rub lotion on his fungus toes (he's got horrible athlete's foot/fungus they can't treat because of his heart condition) or tease Mom with him (just a little).
The kids did well with Mimi (DH's birth mother) and then Poppa (DH's Dad) helping out. But Bubby was in full meltdown mode by Sunday (US time). So instead of going to Texas for 1.5 days I flew home from Denver. Which worked out great in the end--the weather was so bad over Oklahoma and Texas that Mom got stranded in OK City and didn't get home until Tuesday night. I was leaving Wed at noon. I would have ended up with no time in Texas anyway.
It was lovely to have time off from being the chief cook and bottle washer. I had quiet and slept all night for 10 days. First time in 4.5 years. But it was also nice to come home. Bubby didn't let go of me for two days. However--I came home to 99% hot humidity. I really had forgotten how nice central heating and air conditioning are, especially in Denver where there is no humidity. I miss the wide lanes of American highways, all of the yummy and cheap food options, great shopping, and that's about it really. Never did get any Mexican food, but I got to eat at Chili's, the best burger ever at Five Guys, Krispy Kreme, and a Nathan's hot dog. Gotta love the land of Dr. Pepper and free drink re-fills.
Anyway--Martin is status 1B on the heart/lung transplant list. He may be moving up soon. His fluid output is better. He has become willing to be very aggressive now about the transplant and is putting his name out there for the lists in Cleveland and Houston (both places where they do lots more than Denver). The family has realized that they need to do more to help him and his family--so they are lining up to take turns to go and stay. I wish I could do more, but I am so grateful that I got to go and do what I did.
We spent half of each day visiting with Martin at the hospital. He was back there on the Monday I arrived. It's about 35 miles from his house, so quite a haul. The only thing close by is a super grand mall, so you can guess where we spent the other half of our time. :-) He insisted on giving me $200 to spend on the kids--we happened to find the OshKosh store at 70% off clearance and double coupon Tuesday, which meant I got $40 more to spend. Woo-hoo! OshKosh is a brand that Kiwis recognize. I will be able to sell everything I bought on Trademe when the kids have out grown it.
Martin was calm and relaxed the whole time I was there. I got sick on Wednesday afternoon and puked all over his room. Food poisoning, I think. So our trip there was extended, which was great for Martin and his family. He finally opened up and had a great talk with Mom, he even cried. First time in 6 years since this illness started. He and his wife still fight, but I think they are beginning to understand each other a bit. Which is what counts! Mom said that Martin was nicer and more open while I was there than he has been--maybe ever. I think he just tries extra hard to be nice around me. And it helps that I am happy to just sit and rub lotion on his fungus toes (he's got horrible athlete's foot/fungus they can't treat because of his heart condition) or tease Mom with him (just a little).
The kids did well with Mimi (DH's birth mother) and then Poppa (DH's Dad) helping out. But Bubby was in full meltdown mode by Sunday (US time). So instead of going to Texas for 1.5 days I flew home from Denver. Which worked out great in the end--the weather was so bad over Oklahoma and Texas that Mom got stranded in OK City and didn't get home until Tuesday night. I was leaving Wed at noon. I would have ended up with no time in Texas anyway.
It was lovely to have time off from being the chief cook and bottle washer. I had quiet and slept all night for 10 days. First time in 4.5 years. But it was also nice to come home. Bubby didn't let go of me for two days. However--I came home to 99% hot humidity. I really had forgotten how nice central heating and air conditioning are, especially in Denver where there is no humidity. I miss the wide lanes of American highways, all of the yummy and cheap food options, great shopping, and that's about it really. Never did get any Mexican food, but I got to eat at Chili's, the best burger ever at Five Guys, Krispy Kreme, and a Nathan's hot dog. Gotta love the land of Dr. Pepper and free drink re-fills.
Anyway--Martin is status 1B on the heart/lung transplant list. He may be moving up soon. His fluid output is better. He has become willing to be very aggressive now about the transplant and is putting his name out there for the lists in Cleveland and Houston (both places where they do lots more than Denver). The family has realized that they need to do more to help him and his family--so they are lining up to take turns to go and stay. I wish I could do more, but I am so grateful that I got to go and do what I did.
GOOD. Back on the list. And the visit, beautiful stuff! Just seemed tooo short.
ReplyDeleteOhhhhhh, I'm sooo happy you got to go! :D I so, so Martin gets what he needs soon too.
ReplyDelete