Today is the final event for Bubby and ASD evaluation. He's already competed in one event--on Wednesday. The Special Education teacher (for Early Intervention) came from the Ministry of Education and evaluated him at pre-school. She determined he is interacting well, but definitely needs help with his speech. So, next week there will be a meeting between me, the teacher, his speech therapist, and a teacher from pre-school about goals and how to best help him while he is at school. This is good news, because once he is in with Early Intervention if he needs additional help at any point, it will be easier to get him that.
We have been waiting for this Friday to come as it means a new Child Psychologist will be evaluating him at school today. She is a complete unknown, hoping that will help. It's funny and I wonder if this is true for other special needs kids, but I always find myself praying that he is all of his particular bundles of weird on the days he is being watched. And not having a rare day where he acts like every other 4 year old in the room. If this morning was any indication of the rest of how the day will go--the Child Psychologist should get a fair representation of Bubby. He had to poke everyone in the bum today or the boobs, was getting into everything, hyper, and screaming. We shall see.
It's not that I want him stuck with a label that doesn't fit him. But it's been two years of processing through this and I sincerely hope we have not come this far to hear--"Oh, he's a unique boy, but he doesn't fit any diagnosis." That's scary. He is such a sweetie pie and most of the time he is a lot of fun to be around. But he definitely has his issues and the attention span of a gnat. Between that and the speech delays--I don't know how my sweet boy will be ready for school next year.
Olivia has completed her first week of school. She has had a great time. She is reading simple books and the teacher seems to be really impressed with her. Apparently, she did finally have some tears on Wednesday, but I think she was just super tired from Tuesday night. It's our home group night and a late night for everyone. But she gets up every morning excited to go to school. Today I asked her again if she wanted to stay home with Mummy and do homeschool. She said she'd like to do that and go to her school too. A very diplomatic answer!
Now, if I just had a maid--my life would be perfect! :-)
Ohhh, I know how you feel. Chaz's first day of Kindergarten was very weird for us. When I walked him in that room I thought there was NO WAY he was gonna be able to sit there like all the other kids. I didn't know what to do so I left him there and felt REALLY BAD. It just didn't seem right but I didn't know why. That day he bit his teacher because he was scared. I couldn't believe it because he never bit anyone before. He just didn't fit with all the other kids but I had no idea why so I just hoped it would get better. It got easier to see what was wrong as he got older. By age 6 we had him diagnosed.
ReplyDelete