Sunday, September 2, 2012

Father's Day

Poor Dh--had a pretty good Father's Day. The kids and I made him cards last night. He loved them. No money for big gifts, but then his birthday is next Friday anyway--so he'll be getting something next week. At least he didn't have to preach or worship lead today, so its been a relatively easy day.

Had Ian's big reveal on Friday from the child psychologist. While he does have some autistic traits, he does not meet the clinical criteria for diagnosis. He is diagnosed with significant speech and language delays which impact his behavior and possibly cognitive abilities. This is most likely (they believe) from the drug and alcohol exposure he experienced in the womb. She explained that it is like brain damage. He may recover some usage in the areas that are not functioning properly--or he may not. We will keep doing all of the speech therapy and occupational therapy we can get. He will be re-evaluated at age 7 for auditory processing disorder and have another cognitive test. She was very encouraging of our parenting and of Ian. He is such a sweet boy (when he isn't being really loud or telling you NO).

Good news. Just basically keep doing what we are doing. He is loving pre-school and making friends, which is so nice. In January we will begin to work with the primary school (where Sissy goes) to see if he can transition into that school in June next year. Fingers crossed.

In the mean time I am going to clean, work, and enjoy my life. Even if we never officially get to add more children to our family--we have the best kids ever and I am truly blessed.

2 comments:

  1. I see my last comment didn't make it on your other post. I hope you are not mad. I really meant what I said about praying for you every day. Take care of yourself, Miss Bonnie. I am sorry also to read that Bubby's bio mom did this to your son. :(

    PS His real name is in the post... not sure if you realized that so heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I never told you that I took care of a newborn that had the same exact thing happen to him. Also a little girl. This boy was a newborn and had to be weaned off of drugs. I used to hold him all night and pray for him. I didn't have the money to adopt him, we were much poorer back then, and I was praying for a couple to step forward. A couple at my church did and he is now 8 years old. With therapy he has come a long way. It was because of the drugs that he is going through this. He is learning to talk, walk, and he has amazing parents. Their patience is something to be admired. I love little Calvin and so happy he has a wonderful home.

    The little girl I actually did try to adopt was born from a satanist mother. She tried to abort her but barely missed the cutoff date and was too far along. She was gonna sell her daughter on the black market. This little girl was so precious. The grandma stepped forward and refused to let me adopt her. Her grandma has major health issues so she just put her in a daycare during the day and daycare at night. This girl would come home with bite marks from daycare. I wish I could have adopted her so much.

    I'm so grateful you took these little blessings in.

    ReplyDelete