Sunday, January 19, 2014

Thinking About Doing Something I Said I Would Never Do

So, I am blogging this morning instead of getting ready for church, because I can't stop thinking about this. I always said I would NEVER do gastric surgery because my sister did it three times, ate around each procedure, almost died after the last one (blod clot in the lungs at the hospital), and has been very sick since her third surgery. She's still fat. However, my doctor keeps talking to me about it.

I am 41. My diabetes is out of control. HBA1C was double what it should be at the last check a few weeks ago. I am taking the max of pills allowed and facing insulin in 3 months if my blood sugar doesn't come down. I wad diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in 1997, but it was in remission and all clear by 2006. Now it's back. Every day is a crap shoot as to whether or not I will have enough energy to get up and get going and how much pain I will have while doing it. I'm also on high blood pressure medicine.

Over the last month I have lost a little weight, but that is mostly because I have had the stomach flu twice in 4 weeks. I am signed up to do aqua aerobics at the pool, but haven't been able to start yet because of the tummy troubles. I am still down 30+ pounds from my heaviest weight in 2007, but I was down 60 pounds in 2009. 

Because of my health issues I would be able to get the surgery done through the local district health board for free. They figure that it's cheaper to pay for the surgery than to pay for all of the long term health risks for me. 

I've been thinking about, because DH wants to do it so badly, but he's not sick. He is 100+ pounds heavier than me, but has no diabetes, no high blood pressure, etc. So they won't pay for his surgery. We have insurance, but he can't have this surgery until we've been a member for 3 years in October. He wants it and can't have it. I don't want it (or didn't want it) and can have it.

I don't want the complications my sister had. I don't want to do it and then eat around it. I worry about changing the way God made my body, but then I had my thyroid removed when it had lumps on it and had my gallbladder out when it quit working. I guess I worry too about what if it doesn't work. And giving up food which I love so much, but obviously it's killing me.

Any thoughts? Prayers appreciated. 

2 comments:

  1. {{{Hugs}}} God wants you well & healthy to do His work. What do you think HIs Spirit is saying to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Free? Do you know what it runs here? Yes, do pray about it. You don't want to do this when you are 50 if it needs doing. Do you feel you will just eat around the surgery's effects, or do you feel you just need that extra push not to feel so hungry? Only you can decide that - praying for you! :)

    ReplyDelete