Saturday, February 8, 2014

Kids Who Don't Sleep

I have two children who don't sleep. Sissy used to be a good sleeper. We had sleep trained her by the time she was 8 weeks old--she was sleeping 6-7 hours a night from about 11 pm to 5 or 6 am. And she pretty much stayed a sound sleeper until the last year or so. Bubba on the other hand has NEVER been a good sleeper. There have always been months at a time when he just would not sleep all night or would be awake several hours at night. It never mattered if he took a nap or not or how late we kept him up. 

Much of his problem has always been going to sleep at night. He has always tested high on Sensory Integration Disorder and to watch him at bed time it's like his brain just won't shut off. Melatonin takes care of that for the most part. But for the last year or so--they have both been getting up in the middle of the night. Not just waking up--getting up. They go in the kitchen and eat. They watch tv in the lounge. They shut the door and play in their room. This makes life especially hard on Bubby because when he is tired and grumpy on top of his other issues--he is almost unmanageable. It's not exactly easy of Sis either, because she's not pleasant to be around when tired and grumpy.

We have had lots of suggestions put to us. One was to try to give him (or her if needed) melatonin at night when they wake-up. Sometimes that works, but most often it doesn't. We've tried keeping them up later and wearing them out--same thing. They sleep soundly for a few hours and then are up again, especially Bubby. We've tried separate rooms and rooming together. We've tried letting them sleep in our bed with me--most of the time this is what works best. Now we even have an extra bed in their room for one of us to sleep on (usually me). It is the most uncomfortable bed and I still spend about an hour each night awake and telling them to get into bed and go to sleep. We've also been told by a friend who is an adoption counsellor that sometimes adopted children feel quite insecure and sleeping is a real issue for them like--will Mom still be there when I wake-up. I hope that's not the issue. But she suggested me sleeping with them would help.

Now that I am looking at going to work for DH at the church 20 hours a week I have to find a way to sleep better. The kids need to sleep better for their own health and I need it for my health. Not sure how it will come, but I am praying for a miracle. 

5 comments:

  1. I don't think your medical people know how this is happening all the time if they're suggesting a bit of over-the-counter herbs and crap. I would DEMAND something better. What is wrong with these people? You have got to function each day and that means everyone needs at least four hours of sleep each night. Grab your doc by the collar and TELL HIM he needs to help you guys out. I mean it. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had one thought but it is such a big thing to suggest I'm thinking it's probably not a real good idea. What does your doctor say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In NZ Melatonin is a prescription medicine. We have a script for 3 mg a night, but it comes in 1 mg pills. So we buy it from the US in 3 mg pills since it is OTC there. The doctor has referred him for further testing like for Sensory Integration Disorder it will be June before we get in to see the Occupational Therapist. The main reason we haven't put him on ADHD meds for the day time is because it can interfere with sleep and that's the last thing we need. I haven't asked about Olivia's problems. But hers have always been more related to emotional stuff. What's your suggestion Ganeida?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea Melatonin was a prescription there. I still would ask to see another specialist or beg someone to DO SOMETHING. ((hugs))

      Delete
  4. Sleeping tablets ~ as a temporary solution to establish a sleep habit. But it sounds like they would need to be strong & I'm not sure it would be a smart way to go. That's why I wondered what your doc was suggesting. We had teething twins who totally destroyed any sleep we might get for about 6 months & it was making us sick. In a round about way that was our docs solution but I don't think you should publish this because I'm not advocating this as a cure all.

    ReplyDelete