Wednesday, June 18, 2014

My SID Child

It's official--Bubby is a SID kid--sensory integration disorder. This on top of his ADHD, unilateral deafness, speech/behavioral/cognitive delays. Bless his heart. My sweet baby boy--he is so precious!

His OT is great and is working on a plan with Bubby's school to begin treatment strategies. Sadly, his principal doesn't think that this new diagnosis will effect his level of support from the Ministry of Education. I was really hoping it would--that perhaps he would have access to a Teacher's Aide to work with him more. Right now he gets about 1/2 hour a day for about 6 weeks of every term. This mostly focuses on his speech.

The good news is his ADHD medication is working well. It definitely calms him down and he notices the difference. The only problem I can see is that it does effect his appetite and he is getting skinnier. My already skinny boy is leaner than ever. He rarely eats his lunch. We try to get a good breakfast in him--he eats scrambled eggs with ketchup and toast every morning. No lunch. Ketchup on bread sandwich after school and if we are lucky maybe 3 bites of dinner. He drinks apple juice--hates water. Will sometimes drink milk. Loves Popsicles and cookies and cupcakes.Yep--all part of the SID too.

Everyday is a lesson in what works and what doesn't. I don't worry as much as I used to. At least I know now that he does talk and his speech will get better. He loves school. He's reading about as well as any other newly 6 year old boy. And he has a BEST friend. So, he can make and sustain a friendship. That is such a huge relief! I know it will take a lot of work to develop strategies that work for him, but someday he will grow up to be a functioning adult. He is sweet, kind, and he loves us. Life is good.

Next term he will start Riding for the Disabled and swimming lessons with Sissy. He's even asking about playing soccer--so is she. All of this is good for two reasons--he needs activity that is positive and challenging; and we are looking for things for the older kids to do that are special and separate from the 3 little ones. Looking forward to Term 3.

Today is the 1 year anniversary of my Dad's passing. Mum is a bit sad. I'm not sad--just nostalgic I guess. I can't believe how much life has changed in a year. Mum is living with us and is an intricate part of our lives with the children. I'm mothering 5 kids, 3 under 3. I am working at the church and completely content with my life. Oh, things could be more organized. I wouldn't mind some alone time with DH and I desperately need some new underwear--but life is good. God is good. All the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment